Melody

1. In your opinion, what is the best translation of a book to a movie?
2. The worst?
3. Had you read the book before seeing the movie, and did that make a difference? (Personally, all other things being equal, I usually prefer whichever I was introduced to first.)
And, by all means, expand this to as long a list as you like. I’m notoriously awful myself at narrowing down to one favorite ANYTHING. So, feel free to list as many “good” or “bad” movie-from-books as you like. (Heaven knows that’s what I’ll be doing….)
Don’t forget to leave a link to your actual response (so people don’t have to go searching for it) in the comments—or if you prefer, leave your answers in the comments themselves!
I seldom have the time to watch movies nowadays (although I'd love to do so), and even if I manage to squeeze some time for them, I'd usually go for blockbusters (and would watch the others on DVDs). As for movies made from best-selling novels, well I'm a little skeptical about them. Because it is impossible to extract everything from a book to a movie due to time constraint, thus much of the details will be missed. Another great thing about reading a book is, you can leave everything to your own imaginations.
I remember I was excited when Da Vinci Code movie was released because I enjoyed reading the book. But after watching the movie with my hubby, I was greatly disappointed. As for the hubs, he didn't understand some of the scenes so I had to explain to him (you see, he doesn't read novels...well unless they are computer related, ha!).
However, there were a few times that a movie made me want to read the book, i.e. Eragon and Howl's Moving Castle. I liked the movies, so I bought the books (they are still lying in my TBR pile). Although I have yet to read them, but I know I will enjoy them more because of the details.
18 Responses
  1. The book of "Eragon" is far better than the movie. You'll like it.

    Thanks for visiting!


  2. Anonymous Says:

    I heard the same about the book of Eragon too but haven't read it yet. I mostly prefer the book versions as well.


  3. Debi Says:

    My daughter loved reading Eragon, but was somewhat disappointed in the movie.

    Watching the LOTR trilogy over the past couple weeks has definitely made me want to read the books...something I never had an interest in doing before.


  4. Alice Says:

    Hello Mel! You know, I was at Kino just now and I almost, ALMOST bought Eragon. But I didn't. I bought Be Careful What You Wish For and Me and Mr Darcy, both by Alexandra Potter. I haven't watch the movie, but I heard from my family it was good.

    Yes, I agree with you on the details of the books. They're almost always better. :D


  5. Chris Says:

    Da Vinci Code wasn't so great. I think it was the hype and controversy.


  6. --Deb Says:

    I had heard such good things about Howl's Moving Castle-the-movie . . . based on a book I've liked for years . . . I bought a copy of the DVD and then promptly wanted to toss it through the wall. They completely changed the book around, I wanted to scream! But maybe going in the other direction will be okay . . . I hope so, for your sake, because the book (and its sequel) was good!


  7. Stephanie Says:

    The pace of The DaVinci Code, the book was SO FAST paced!! The movie seemed to drag, and I just couldn't understand it! I still liked it though.

    Happy Thursday!


  8. Barbara H. Says:

    I haven't read or seen any of the ones you mentioned, but I do usually prefer the books to the films for all the reasons you cited. Plus many films of classics have spurred me on to read the books.

    Barbara H. @ Stray Thoughts


  9. Julia Says:

    I haven't read the book, but I did see the movie Da Vinci Code. I admit the first few scenes was horrified to me that I didn't even want to watch it, I keep on glancing everyone now and then on scenes...

    I also saw the movie Aragon but never read the book. I don't think I heard of Howl's Moving Castle..but look interesting :)


  10. Eragon is an enjoyable book and I hope you will enjoy it!

    As much as I liked The Da Vinci Code (book), I wasn't quite as enamoured by it as so many others were. I personally liked the movie, although it probably isn't one I would add to my personal movie collection.


  11. Julia Says:

    I keep on glancing everyone now and then on scenes...

    OOPS, re to the comments I said (see above), I meant to say "I keep on glancing every now and then"...there isn't suppose to be the word one in the word "everyone" *grin*


  12. Melody Says:

    Hi Marianne, I know I will enjoy the book. I still think the books are much better than the movies versions, hehe.


    Hi Rhinoa, I can't wait to read the book! :) Books are always the best. ;)

    Hi Debi, glad to hear your daughter enjoyed the books! I love LOTR movies, but haven't read the books yet.

    Hey Alice, why didn't you buy the book?! LOL.

    Hi Chris, thanks for visiting. I think you're right about that. There was too much hype about the book and the movie itself. But I enjoyed the book because of the great plot.

    Hi Deb, I haven't read the book yet, but I loved the movies, so I'm sure the book will be better! :)

    Hi Stephanie, I totally agree with you on that!! :)

    Hi Barbara, thanks for visiting! Those are exactly my thoughts, hehe.

    Hi Julia, you should watch Howl's Moving Castle! It is great!

    Hey Wendy, I can't wait to read Eragon. And then there's other book to the sequel...Elder I think. Have you read that as well? :)


  13. Alice Says:

    Good question, Mel. I stood there for like 5 mins thinking whether or not to get Eragon. I walked around with it. Then decided to put it back down. Hmmm... I think I'll go get it the next time I pop by Kino. LOL.


  14. Melody Says:

    HOORAY!! LOL. I'm getting very pleased with myself for recommending more books to Alice! Hehe. ;P


  15. Anonymous Says:

    I didn't like the DaVinci Code either. Happy BTT!


  16. Kat Says:

    I didn't like either book or movie of Eragon, though if I had to choose, I'll pick the movie.

    I'm quick to recommend 'Howl's Moving Castle', both the book and the anime. Many would argue that Hayao Miyazaki deviated from Diana Wynn Jones, but as I'm used to watching Miyazaki films and know he does that often, I find the differences interesting. The author herself, on the overall I guess, liked it.


  17. Melody Says:

    Hi Kristy! I don't really understand the Da Vinci Code movie, but I'm glad I read the book first so I know what they were talking about! LOL.

    Hi Kat! I haven't read the book of Eragon yet, but I enjoyed the movie. The same goes to Howl's Moving Castle.

    Happy Friday to all! :)


  18. Melody, I haven't yet read Eldest, the sequel to Eragon. I do plan to though. It's very long. LOL


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.