Melody
Booking Through Thursday

Have you ever written an author a fan letter?
Did you get an answer?
Did it spark a conversation? A meeting?
(And, sure, I suppose that e-mails DO count . . . but I’d say no to something like a message board on which the author happens to participate.)
Don’t forget to leave a link to your actual response (so people don’t have to go searching for it) in the comments—or if you prefer, leave your answers in the comments themselves!

Yes! I think I have written to a few authors like Anne Stuart, Lori Foster, Kathryn Smith, Kat Martin and Janelle Denison several years back. At that time, they are kind of like celebrities to me (after all, they must be something if they can write and sell their books!); moreover I was really hooked with romance genres then. I wrote them emails, and all of them responded. You can imagine how thrilled I was when some of them offered to send me signed bookplates, bookmarks etc, despite that I'm not living in the U.S. I was really touched by their gesture.

Nowadays, although I don't write to my favourite authors like what I did last time, but there are times that I do have the urge of doing so, especially after reading a great story and I just want to tell them how much I enjoyed reading it and so forth. But in the end, I didn't. I guess I have outgrown it, hehe. But I will definitely share my thoughts when writing the book reviews and will rave about them if they are good, I guess that's what I have been doing now.
12 Responses
  1. Julia Says:

    Melody - Isn't Anne Stuart so nice?! I enjoyed talking with her for a short while. And it great that you got bookplates, very sweet of them :)

    Happy Booking Through Thursday!


  2. Anonymous Says:

    That's really cool that they offered to send you stuff, I hope you said yes! I haven't read much in the romance genre but am sure I will get around to it sometime :)


  3. Melody Says:

    Hi Julia! Yes, Anne is very nice, and so are the others! I remember I was so thrilled to hear from them!!! ;)

    Hi Rhinoa! I said yes, of course! How could I turn down their offer?! LOL.

    Happy BTT to all!


  4. Dreamy Says:

    That is really great :) I am kind of with you on the not so much lately... Happy BTT! were the bookplates nice?


  5. Melody Says:

    Hi dreamy, thanks for visiting! The bookplates are very nice, it looks very much like the bookcovers! :)


  6. Alice Says:

    Hi Mel, that's very nice of the authors. Hehe... I haven't written to any of them, except one and that is Olympia Dukakis' assistant, Bonnie Low Kramen. We were corresponding for a while. :)


  7. It's great that some of them got back to you -- how fun. I imagine they love to receive the compliment of a fan letter.

    Happy BTT!


  8. Anonymous Says:

    My answer on this one would be no, but it's fun to see everyones responses. Happy BTT!


  9. Debi Says:

    I think that is so awesome that you wrote AND they responded! I guess I tend to put authors on some kind of pedestal or something. But I'm sure they really are "regular" people, and they probably do love receiving fan mail. Something new to think about here.


  10. CeeCee Says:

    Many authors with websites often encourage readers to drop them a line. You dont't even need a stamp!

    Happy BTT! Gosh, it rolls around fast doesn't it?


  11. I often think about writing to authors if I really enjoyed their book, but I rarely do anymore. I think sometimes I will and even start a letter in my head, but then I give up. I've never gotten over my awe of published authors and I doubt I ever well. :-)


  12. Barbara H. Says:

    How neat that you heard back from them!

    I probably should write to authors to let them know they've touched me in some way, but I just don't get around to it.

    Barbara H. @ Stray Thoughts


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.