Melody

There was a widely bruited-about statistic reported last week, stating that 1 in 4 Americans did not read a single book last year. Clearly, we don’t fall into that category, but . . . how many of our friends do? Do you have friends/family who read as much as you do? Or are you the only person you know who has a serious reading habit?

Don’t forget to leave a link to your actual response (so people don’t have to go searching for it) in the comments—or if you prefer, leave your answers in the comments themselves!

I suppose this is a subjective issue as not all people has a passion for reading, especially when one views it as a leisure/hobby.

If you have read my last week's reply, you will probably have known that my family members are not avid readers. And the same goes to my friends too. A majority of them claimed that they don't have the interest of reading books for leisure, unless you are talking about women's magazines, hehe. There are times that I wish I have some friends to talk to about the books we read, or even share the anticipation of the arrivals of any new books and so forth. However, I am very grateful to have known several blogger friends around the world who are avid readers like myself, so I don't feel lonely anymore.

18 Responses
  1. Kat Says:

    I agree. This question is related to last weeks. :) It's great that you can share books with friends and family.


  2. Julia Says:

    Melody - Yep you are right, we do have simliar answers...well ...almost hehehe


  3. Yup... thank goodness for the internet!

    Happy BTT.


  4. meowminx Says:

    Hello, fellow avid reader! *waves* Nice to meet ya!

    Happy BTT!

    Mine's posted here.



  5. den Says:

    As I said in my answer, I feel so sad for the people who haven't found the magic in a book. At least, I found you guys who have the same passion, right?

    Happy BTT!


  6. Book blogs are so wonderful for chatting with other book-lovers, eh? :)


  7. teabird Says:

    Without my online friends, I'd be lonely indeed! Discussing books online is one of the pleasures of a booklover's life these days - thank heavens for the Internet!


  8. Dewey Says:

    I'm so glad you have blogger friends to share your love of reading with! I'm realizing how fortunate I am to have so many readers as friends and family, seeing all these answers from people who feel alone in their hobby.


  9. Carrie Says:

    Yup! Blogger friends are wonderful for this purpose. That's how I connect with some of my friends who live far away who also like to read (although all my intown friends are frequent readers also).


  10. BookGal Says:

    I feel lucky to have friends who read in addition to some really great bloggers.


  11. Mei Says:

    I'm so grateful to have found this meme, because I've gotten lots of great ideas for my (growing) library from other book lovers!


  12. Kathleen Says:

    Yay Book Blogs! LOL. Here's my answer: http://smsbookreviews.blogspot.com/2007/08/booking-through-thursday-statistics.html


  13. Alice Says:

    HURRAH to all book lovers! Hurrah!

    (Was bitten by the Bridget Jones bug)

    It's National Day in Malaysia today so I get to blog! HAHA! :D


  14. Melody Says:

    Thanks everyone, for your great comments! :D

    Long Live, Book Blogs!!! ;)


  15. The first time I discovered a yahoo group dedicated to reading and books, I was thrilled. It opened a door for me into a world I never knew existed. I've been participating in reading related online groups for years now and only recently discovered the community of litbloggers out there. It's nice to find that I'm not alone in my love for reading and to be able to share my thoughts about not only books, but my book crazed behaviors as well. :-)


  16. Ute Says:

    My daughter is an avid reader. She is 6 years old and has just taken out a book, that she is reading to me right now. But I do have plenty of friends who tell they don't read or don't get a chance to read. Too bad.


  17. MissMeliss Says:

    I'm not sure if it's because I hang around with people who are generally creative or what, but most of my friends - and all my family - are avid readers.

    Still, I love that there are so many bloggers who are into books, because really, there can never be too many people to swap suggestions with.

    -- Melissa (www.bibliotica.com)


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.