Melody
I was tagged by Stephanie for this meme which was first created by Eva from A Striped Armchair.

Which book do you irrationally cringe away from reading, despite seeing only positive reviews?

Well...this is a tough one. I guess I will choose The Inheritance of Loss by Kiran Desai. Several time I walked into the bookstores, I was very tempted to buy it as it is listed as one of the bestselling novels but regrettably it didn't hold my interest.

If you could bring three characters to life for a social event (afternoon tea, a night of clubbing, perhaps a world cruise), who would they be and what would the event be?

When I think of afternoon tea, I think of scones, pastries, English tea and anything that accompanies with the 19th century (perhaps I still cannot forget the scenes from the Pride and Prejudice movie, haha). I'd love to have an informal interview with Mr. Darcy himself, and of course not forgetting to ask about his relationship with Elizabeth Bennet.

As for clubbing, I want someone who's fun to be with and not afraid to show off his funky self. And Reno (hopefully will have a story of his own in the next Ice series by Anne Stuart) fits in this category. He seems like a fun person to be with, although he gives me the impression he's cold and that he doesn't care two hoots what the world think of him.

Well, as for world cruise... can I bring Harry Potter and gang? In this case, we don't have to worry about transport and save us all the hassle!

(Borrowing shamelessly from the Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde): you are told you can’t die until you read the most boring novel on the planet. While this immortality is great for awhile, eventually you realise it’s past time to die. Which book would you expect to get you a nice grave?

Moby Dick by Herman Melville.

Come on, we’ve all been there. Which book have you pretended, or at least hinted, that you’ve read, when in fact you’ve been nowhere near it?

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho, even though this is rated as one of the bestselling novels around.

You’re interviewing for the post of Official Book Advisor to some VIP (who’s not a big reader). What’s the first book you’d recommend and why? (If you feel like you’d have to know the person, go ahead and personalise the VIP).

This is a tough one. Wait a minute, perhaps I should recommend The Kite Runner to the VIP. In fact, I'd recommend this to anyone because it is so thought provoking. There's friendship, family, loyalty, betrayal, redemption, and others as well all packed in this book. I felt I have learnt a lot from this story. What's more, this novel is made into a movie so the VIP can watch it if he/she thinks that reading is too much for him/her!

A good fairy comes and grants you one wish: you will have perfect reading comprehension in the foreign language of your choice. Which language do you go with?

Oh, this one is easy. It's either French or Japanese. I started my first job in a French company, and the French bosses there always greeted their staff in their native language. I guess I was fascinated by their language then, and wouldn't mind learning it provided I have the time!

A mischievous fairy comes and says that you must choose one book that you will reread once a year for the rest of your life (you can read other books as well). Which book would you pick?

Let me see... there are so many books that I'd love to reread! But since the fairy said I will reread this once a year for the rest of my life, I suppose I have to choose something entertaining and an easy read, right? Coraline is the first book that sprang to mind. I LOVE that book. And the author is none other than Neil Gaiman, enough said.

I know that the book blogging community, and its various challenges, have pushed my reading borders. What’s one bookish thing you ‘discovered’ from book blogging (maybe a new genre, or author, or new appreciation for cover art-anything)?

Book blogs have certainly helped me in exploring more books which I have not read or heard of before. In this case, I'd choose the Annie Seymour series by Karen E. Olson because I have read so many great reviews about her books. I also love the cover arts of her first and second book (Sacred Cows and Secondhand Smoke) because the colours used are bright and outstanding.

That good fairy is back for one final visit. Now, she’s granting you your dream library! Describe it. Is everything leatherbound? Is it full of first edition hardcovers? Pristine trade paperbacks? Perhaps a few favourite authors have inscribed their works? Go ahead-let your imagination run free.

A library that I can call my own, how nice! There will be rows of floor-to-ceiling wooden bookshelves lined against the walls, stacked with classics and the latest releases of all genres. Hardcovers and paperbacks will be available as well. Big comfy chairs is a must. Although I'd love to have a fireplace, but living in a hot and humid climate country makes it impossible so an air-conditioned library have to do.

As per the rules, I have to tag 4 people for this meme so here they are:

Darla from Nichtszusagen

Labels: edit post
20 Responses
  1. Julia Says:

    Gosh so many questions to think about hehe...I will try to do this soon. Just give me the time to do it

    Interesting answers, Melody!


  2. Debi Says:

    Fun stuff, Melody! Did you find some of those questions as hard to answer as I did?


  3. Jane Says:

    Those are some good questions, Melody and well thought out answers. Let me think about them for a while so I can do justice to them!


  4. Iliana Says:

    These are great... I'm beginning to see Moby Dick is making it on everyone's list - will probably be on mine too :)


  5. Anonymous Says:

    I like!

    I too have tagged! you for this! However, you have already done this!


  6. Eva Says:

    I hate Inheritance of Loss, if that makes you feel any better. And, there was this one horrifying mini-scene in a bathroom that I will remember for as long as I live. :(

    I love Coraline as well!


  7. Jupiter Says:

    Nice answers :)

    I've seen many people mention a fireplace in their dream library and I laughed to myself when I was visiting the library today as I walked past the reading area with these big fluffy armchairs in front of the fireplace.I thought to myself,"Ah,it's everyone's dream library!" LOL


  8. Melody Says:

    Thanks, Julia! No prob, take your time. :)

    Debi, some of them did take me some time to answer, but they are so fun don't you think? ;)

    Thank you, Jaimie! I think you have answered very well for these questions too. :)

    Iliana, thank you! Yes, it seems like Moby Dick is a popular pick, hehe.

    Gautami, thanks for tagging me! :)

    Hi Eva! What a fun meme! I'm relieved to hear that I'm not the only one who thinks that way about The Inheritance of Loss. ;P Coraline is GREAT!!!

    Hi Boudicca, thank you! How I wish I have a library like yours!!! ;) You lucky gal, hehe.


  9. Melody Says:

    Hi Aart Hilal! Thanks for visiting and for telling me about Paulo Coelho's blog.

    Hope you have a nice day too!


  10. Ana S. Says:

    Coraline, what a great choice!


  11. Melody Says:

    Nymeth, I love Coraline! I don't think I will get tired of reading it, ever. ;)


  12. Alice Says:

    I never finished The Inheritance of Loss. It was really erm... not my cup of tea. I don't know what I'm reading. Gosh...

    AND, you make me want to run out and get Coraline right this minute. I have seen it around for some time but did not buy it. But I'm on book oath... Aiyayaa...



  13. Melody Says:

    Alice, go get Coraline!! The most you can do is buy one book less next time round. ;P

    Jen, it is a great meme, not to mention it's fun too.


  14. Framed Says:

    Wow, I'm reading some mixed feelings about The Kite Runner. I wish I had liked A Thousand Splendid Suns better.

    Coraline is one I am definitely going to read this year. I discoverd Gaiman through blogging and I'm a fan.


  15. Melody Says:

    Framed, I'm looking forward to reading A Thousand Splendid Suns because I have read so many good reviews about it. Someone told me they liked The Kite Runner better, I suppose I can only make the comparison after I have read both! ;)

    And I hope you will enjoy reading Coraline. It's a great book! :) In fact, most Gaiman's books are great!!


  16. Darla Says:

    *whew* It's good to know I'm not the only one who hasn't finished this yet! Just stopping by to say I didn't ignore you--I've just been too busy to respond. :)


  17. Melody Says:

    Darla, no worries. just take your time to do this meme... :)


  18. Darla Says:

    I finally finished! Thanks, Melody--it was fun, even if I did take forever! :)

    http://nichtszusagen.blogspot.com/2008/02/monday-morning-meme.html


  19. Melody Says:

    Thanks for playing, Darla! I admit some of them required a little more time of thinking, hehe...


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.