Melody

btt,btt

What, in your opinion, is the definition of a “reader.” A person who indiscriminately reads everything in sight? A person who reads BOOKS? A person who reads, period, no matter what it is? … Or, more specific? Like the specific person who’s reading something you wrote?

Generally, a reader is a person who would read anything. No matter if they are books, magazines, newspapers, internet etc. However, I think there is a difference between reading for pleasure and reading for information (or as a profession). For example, a person may be working as a proofreader but that does not mean he/she has an interest for reading, but he/she is still considered a reader because he/she reads.

I am not sure of you, but I would like to think of a "reader" who has a passion for books. That's me, being a booklover and all.

13 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    I think the consensus of oppinion is that a "reader" is one who reads for pleasure. :-D


  2. SmilingSally Says:

    Right! A "passion for books" is a good answer!


  3. Anonymous Says:

    I agree that it's reading for pleasure (beyond what you "have" to read) that defines a reader, but I don't think only someone who reads books is a reader. I used to lament that my boys weren't readers because they rarely read books, until I realized my oldest reads much more than I do on the Internet. He is constantly sharing interesting tidbits he finds. That kind of reading gives him pleasure: he's not so much into stories.

    Me, on the other hand, I'm a definite book lover. :-)


  4. S. Krishna Says:

    Passion for books - now there's a great definition!


  5. Anonymous Says:

    My definition of a reader is almost exactly the same. :)


  6. Alice Says:

    Once again, we share the same answer, Melody! Yay to us, booklovers! :D


  7. I agree with your last statment. I reader, I believe is someone who prefers reading because they like it. Or love it! :)


  8. Julia Says:

    I agree with the define of "reader" as havin PASSION for books. That is what I say too :) And then of course there is one who is avided reader.

    Hey, I tag you again. This time "One Word Meme" :) Great BTTs -- and this time I won't be doing mine this week :(


  9. I think a reader has a passion for books as well.


  10. Ana S. Says:

    The word also makes me think of a person passionate about books, but strictly speaking I do think it applies to anyone who readers, regardless of what their reading material and their motivations are.


  11. Melody Says:

    Hi everyone! Thanks for your comments. I'm glad to know most of us share the same sentiments about books. :)

    Julia - Thanks for tagging me. I'll do the meme soon. :)


  12. trish Says:

    Great example about the proofreader! And I agree about a reader being someone with a passion for books. :-)


  13. Melody Says:

    Trish, I'm glad that a lot of us readers are thinking that way. ;)


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.