Melody

Booking Through Thursday

Inspired by Booksplease

Whether you usually read off of your own book pile or from the library shelves NOW, chances are you started off with trips to the library. (There’s no way my parents could otherwise have kept up with my book habit when I was 10.) So … What is your earliest memory of a library? Who took you? Do you have you any funny/odd memories of the library?

My very first visit was at my Primary School library. At that time, my school was just about a fifteen minutes walk from home and although the public library is bigger and has more varieties, nothing beats the convenience so I spent much more time in the school library than in the public library.

I remember I would stay in the library after class dismissal (perhaps once in a week) and would browse through the shelves to look for my favourite Nancy Drew series while I enjoyed the cool air from the air-conditioner because it was always so hot outside. I would rest my back against the bean couch provided on the carpeted floor as I read; we were also requested to leave our shoes outside the library since we might dirty the carpet.

I cannot recall if there was any funny/odd memories of the library though, except that I always had a wonderful time there. Sadly, the school was demolished several years back and now thinking back, I really missed those days.

19 Responses
  1. Paula Says:

    Oh My, now that does bring back a good memory for me;
    Reading Nancy Drew in the bean bag chair at our public library when I was 11!


  2. Anonymous Says:

    Get yourself a big bean bag chair and a novel right away! :)


  3. Melody Says:

    Paula, Treehouse - I love this week's question because it brings back all the fond memories. *sigh*


  4. Lynda Says:

    Taking yor shoes off...wow! Great memories.
    My answer is here:
    http://lyndasbookblog.blogspot.com/2008/08/booking-through-thursday-21808.html


  5. SmilingSally Says:

    That sounds like a friendly library.


  6. Anonymous Says:

    I also spent a lot of time in libraries with Nancy Drew...she seems to be a popular choice among BTTers today.


  7. Anonymous Says:

    I spent my time with Enid Blytons!

    :D

    Library memories


  8. Melody Says:

    Holistic Knitter - I'm glad we had our socks on then. ;P

    Smilingsal - It is, and I loved it!

    Rjsbooklady - Yes. Nancy Drew's and Enid Blyton's books are my common reads then.

    Gautami - There you go about Enid Blyton! :) I wish I've some of her older releases in my pile!


  9. Jane Says:

    My old school was torn down too! But I also have wonderful memories of that library!


  10. Melody Says:

    Jaimie - Knowing our schools being torn down is so sad, isn't it? I wish I had taken pictures of my school library.


  11. BooksPlease Says:

    My junior school didn't have a library and at the secondary school it was just for reference and study. I spent as much time as I could in the public library.


  12. I use to get my Nancy Drew novels from the library as well. I still remember the feeling it use to give me to read those mysteries and the smell of the old books they had.


  13. Melody Says:

    Margaret - Ah, I can understand your reason for spending more time in the public library. I'd do the same if I were you too.

    Shannon - I too love the smell of old books, LOL! Funnily, they don't smell as bad as other bad stuff do. ;)


  14. Kat Says:

    It was in our library too that I started reading Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys haha. Lovely memories. :D


  15. Kim L Says:

    what a fun memory!


  16. Melody Says:

    Kat - Those were the days, eh? :)

    Kim - Indeed it is.


  17. Jeane Says:

    I used to get sent to the school library when in kindgergarten class the other kids were learning how to read- and I was bored! So the teacher would send me there to get a book. I loved it.


  18. What a wonderful trip down memory lane, Melody! Thanks for sharing.


  19. Melody Says:

    Jeane - That's a nice memory. I don't think my kindergarten class had a library then, probably just a small reading corner with enough books to keep the class entertained. ;)

    Wendy - I love reliving these memories, especially when books are concerned! ;P


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.