Melody

Booking Through Thursday

I’ve seen this series of questions floating around the ‘net the last few days, and thought it looked like a good one for us!

What was the last book you bought?

Name a book you have read MORE than once

Contest by Matthew Reilly.

Has a book ever fundamentally changed the way you see life? If yes, what was it?

Thought-provoking stories always make me see life in a different angle. Sky Burial by Xinran and My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult are two examples of them.

How do you choose a book? eg. by cover design and summary, recommendations or reviews

Most of the times, it is through recommendations and of course, the interesting blurbs. But there are also times that I bought a book because of its attractive cover.

Do you prefer Fiction or Non-Fiction?

Fiction, without a doubt.

What’s more important in a novel - beautiful writing or a gripping plot?

I will say both are equally important. But a gripping plot will definitely attract me to read further.

Most loved/memorable character (character/book)

This is tricky, because I have too many most loved/memorable characters to list. But if I have to list one memorable character, it would have to be Detective Cassie Maddox from Tana French latest book - The Likeness. She is one extraordinary heroine, and a gutsy undercover to boot.

Which book or books can be found on your nightstand at the moment?

Out by Natsuo Kirino, as well as The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman.

What was the last book you’ve read, and when was it?

The Likeness by Tana French. I started reading it last month; I would had finished it earlier as I was also preoccupied with Colleen Gleason's Gardella Vampire Chronicles at the same time.

Have you ever given up on a book half way in?

I did. I always try to give the book a second chance though by reading a few more chapters, but if it still does not hook me, I will just give it up.

14 Responses
  1. SmilingSally Says:

    I agree.
    I used to plow through a poorly written or little liked book to the bitter end, but now I have decided to treat my reading time as a precious commodity.


  2. Debi Says:

    Oh, I can't wait to hear what you think of Out! I've got both Out and Grotesque waiting here for me...they both sound so intriguing!


  3. Ana S. Says:

    I love it when a story makes me see life from a different angle.

    I really look forward to your thoughts on The Graveyard Book!


  4. Wanda Says:

    My Sister's Keeper has been on my TBR for awhile now but keeps getting bumped.


  5. Julia Says:

    Melody - gosh I don't even know any of these books you listed but have heard of few of the authors.

    Nice to see you posting! Happy Thursday!


  6. Melody Says:

    Sally - I always try to finish the books I read, but I've no choice but to give them up if they continue to bore me.

    Debi - I enjoyed Out! So dark and gripping! I can't wait to hear your thoughts after you've read them!

    Nymeth - I've just started reading The Graveyard Book. :) It's very interesting so far.

    Wanda - I hope you'd read My Sister's Keeper soon!

    Matt - I don't read many historical fiction and classics in the past, but I'm beginning to take an interest in them now. ;)

    Julia - I hope you'll check them out if you've the chance. :)


  7. I've got Contest buried somewhere in my TBR pile, but I think I will pull it out and give it a read. I remeber picking it up because I'd heard the descriptions of the NY library were gorgeous.


  8. Iliana Says:

    Melody I just started The Likness yesterday and so far I'm really liking it but I keep wondering about one character... If he makes an appearance in the book or not! I hope he does cause I liked him too.


  9. Melody Says:

    Joanne - I hope you'd read Contest soon! It's such a great page-turner! And I just love the idea of the NY library as one of the settings!

    Iliana - Oh, I can't wait to read your review! I think I like this better than the previous instalment. You know, I've the same thoughts about that one character too, hehe... and I'm hoping Tana French will feature him in her next book!!


  10. What a delicious list of books you bought recently! I really need to read Tana French's books!


  11. Alice Says:

    I enjoy reading your answers, Melody. I agree that both plot and beautiful writing are important.

    Looking at the list of books you bought, I saw Grotesque and that reminded me of Andrew's posing with it when we had lunch together on Sat. We went photoshooting together at the Orchid Park. I have an orchid dedicated to you too. :)


  12. Melody Says:

    Wendy - Those're the books I bought some time ago... I haven't been buying any recently, hehe. I can't wait to read your reviews on Tana French's books! I'm sure you'll love them. ;)

    Alice - I'm looking forward to reading Grotesque soon. And thank you so much for dedicating the orchid pic to me!! :)


  13. LOL--can you tell I'm behind in my blogging? :) I love this meme and wish I had time to do the answers. My sister's Keeper really hit me hard--my favorite Picoult book hands down. I haven't read many of the others you mentioned, but I keep hearing about Gleason's books! Someday I'll have to check them out.


  14. Melody Says:

    Trish - My Sister's Keeper is my favourite Picoult book too, although it's such a sad story. I'm hoping you'll try Gleason's books one of these days; they're really great! :)


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.