Melody

Musing Mondays

From this week onwards, MUSING MONDAYS will be hosted by Rebecca from Just One More Page.

How do you feel about wide-spread reading phenomenons - Harry Potter, for instance, or the more current Twilight Saga? Are these books so widely read for a reason, or merely fads or crazes? Do you feel compelled to read - or NOT to read - these books because everyone else is?

I remember those moments when I walked into the bookstores and found many young children queuing to get their copies of the Harry Potter books. I was not a HP fan then, but my initial thought was it is a good thing that these children have not given up reading (given with today's electronic games and all) and that this series must be really good to generate such crazes. It was only through curiosity that I watched the first movie and thought it was interesting. Being a booklover, I always think that books are a better source of storytelling and are more descriptive so I began to seek out this series from then onwards. It was also through this series that started my passion for children/young adult books.

As for the Twilight Saga, I started reading this series before all the hypes. I have yet to watch this movie but I am definitely looking forward to watching it soon. So what do I think about these reading phenomenons? Naturally books which are most read and bestselling often make it to the big screen, which in turn may inspire some non-readers to read the books. And I think it is always a good thing to spark anyone's interest in reading.

14 Responses
  1. You make a very good point, Melody, about popular books being turned into movies which may turn non-readers on to books.

    It is neat to be part of the swell of excitement over books like Harry Potter and the Twilight series. I nearly skipped the Harry Potter books because of all the hype and am so glad I caved in. I wouldn't read the books I did unless I decided it was right for me ultimately though.


  2. Alice Says:

    Like you, I started reading Twilight waaaay before the hype. As a matter of fact, thanks to Twilight, I started reading fiction again.

    I think hype or no hype, as long as it gets people to embrace reading, it is a good thing. Like Wendy, I will decide to continue reading HP when the time is right for me. I've finished Book 1 to 4 way before the movies. I don't think I've watched the movies yet.


  3. Anonymous Says:

    I agree. Hypes help non-readers to read. I have heard that many kids started to love reading because of HP.


  4. Anonymous Says:

    Getting children is a good think. Hype or not.

    HP did manage to do that..

    My Musings


  5. Anonymous Says:

    I dealt with the staying power of these books in my post.


  6. Anonymous Says:

    I agree that anything that gets people reading these days, particularly kids, is great.


  7. Ana S. Says:

    Yes, getting people to read, especially children, is always a good thing. As for me, I don't avoid a book because of the hype, but I also don't feel that I HAVE to read it because of it.


  8. Anonymous Says:

    I'm delighted to see the horde of kids queuing up for the HP and Twilight books. As long as books park their interest to read, which even schools might fail to do so, it doesn't really matter what they are reading. Some of the books that are tenured on the school reading list are just too old and losing steam.


  9. The Bookworm Says:

    I'm like you too Melody, I read the Twilight series before all the hype.
    I agree, its a good thing that movies like Twilight make people want to read.
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/


  10. Melody Says:

    Wendy - I nearly missed reading HP books! I'm glad I caved in, hehe.

    Alice - I'm the opposite! I've watched all the movies to-date, it's just the books I need to catch up with, LOL.

    Violetcrush - I think this is one of the greatest things about having movies tie-in! ;P

    Gautami - I agree. :)

    Bluestocking - I'll check your post in a moment. Thanks!

    Mae - Yeah! Reading is fun!

    Nymeth - Absolutely! It's great exploring the books with the hype initially, but then again we don't have to read them just because everyone is reading. It's a matter of our reading preferences.

    Matt - I agree with you about those reading materials in school. Some of them are so old and/or dull that I don't blame the students for having no interest.

    Naida - I hope the non-readers will continue to read even if they've finished HP or Twilight books. ;)


  11. mariel Says:

    Anything that gets people, especially kids, reading is ok with me! I used to be a childrens bookseller and know how hard it can be getting kids, boys in particular, to read anything. I got hooked on Harry around the time Goblet of Fire came out, so was a little behind the times but before the huge hype kicked in. I only got into the Twilight series after book 3 was out, but had no idea there was any hype at all until I finished book 3 and started researching it on the web! Must have missed out on a lot of the hype over here!


  12. Melody Says:

    Mariel - I do notice girls read more than boys. I think it's always good to cultivate good reading habits when they're young. I haven't finish reading HP series, although I'd watched all the movies to-date.


  13. Shana Says:

    Like some others have said, I think anything that gets people to read is good, even if it is a trend, like HP or Twilight.


    Shana
    Literarily


  14. Melody Says:

    Exactly, Shana! :D


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.