Melody

Musing Mondays

Today’s MUSING MONDAYS post is about Christmas book buying…

In these last few days before Christmas, I'm sure there are plenty of us scrambling to get our last minute shopping done. Are you buying any books for friends or family (or even yourself)? Do you expect to receive any bookish gifts from others - books, or book-related?

Although I would love to buy books for my family and friends, I won't be buying books for them since most of them are non-readers (except my bookblogging friends, of course). However, not all of them dislike reading at all; for instance my husband does not share my passion for reading fiction novels but he does read books which are related to his job. Since I do not have knowledge in that area, I don't buy books as gifts for him and moreover, what I buy may not be of his liking.

For me, I love buying books for myself anytime. And although my family and friends know I am a booklover, they usually don't buy books as gifts for me (except gift cards) because they know I would prefer to buy them myself, and moreover what they buy may end up duplicates for me.

How about you? Do you buy books for your family and friends?



Note: As much as I love chatting with friends or readers via Cbox, I regret to say I have to take it off my blog after some consideration after seeing someone misused it. Although I find the act amusing, I hate to mislead my friends and readers who mean more important to me. Nevertheless, I would love to hear from you so please feel free to email me.

13 Responses
  1. Alice Says:

    Once again, same thoughts with you, Melody!

    I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience with Cbox... I was also hit the same time you got hit with spam, but I deleted it. For my space, I will continue to monitor, ban and remove unwanted messages.


  2. I do try and buy the readers in my family books if I can, or at the very least gift cards to bookstores.

    I am not really familiar with Cbox, but I am sorry to hear about your recent experience. It is sad when someone ruins something that is meant for fun.


  3. Melody Says:

    Alice - Glad we share the same thoughts once again! LOL.

    Yes, I remember your Cbox being hit by spam some time ago. As for me, I find it a hassle to monitor all the time so it's about time I take off from my blog anyway.

    Wendy - I think gift cards work best for me no matter if I want to get books for my friends or vice versa.

    I'm thinking since most of my friends email me instead of writing a short message in Cbox, I may as well remove it anyway.


  4. Alice Says:

    Yep, it depends on how important or frequency of use of that cbox in your blog. If the traffic's not so heavy, it makes more sense to remove than to keep it.

    For me, I want visitors to continue to have various choices of dropping comments when they come to visit.


  5. Julia Says:

    Hey Melody, I agree that gift cards is the way to go. My friends know that they should just get me gift cards as presents. It work better this way. Although, if I have mention a certain book that I want, it be a great surprise book to give me. Darla did this few times, and it's always the perfect books :)

    Hey you have awards, if you in Christmas spirit -- then come visit my blog!


  6. Melody Says:

    Alice - I agree with your thoughts. :)

    Julia - Yes, gift cards is the best if one doesn't know what to get for the other party.

    Thank you so much for passing an award to me! :) I really appreciate it.


  7. Ana S. Says:

    Sorry to hear about your bad experience with Cbox!

    I love giving people books as gifts, but if I know they won't read them at all there's really no point :P So after some failed attempts, I give non-readers things other than books.


  8. Anonymous Says:

    I really only have a couple of people to buy for now, and they love books. I always feel kind of bad because I never know what to get them for non-book gifts.


  9. I wish more of my family members were readers - I'd love to get them all books. I in turn don't receive many books as gifts because they're not into that sort of thing and don't know much about it. :(


  10. Robin M Says:

    All of my family love to read so had a blast buying them books. I love receiving books especially if family take the trouble to pick out what I like.

    My post is up now.


    Robin of mytwoblessings


  11. Beth F Says:

    I love gift cards! Happy holidays.


  12. Eidin Says:

    Gift cards are terrific gifts! Of the few readers in my family, I don't share their tastes in reading at all!


  13. Melody Says:

    Nymeth - There was a time I bought a book for non-reader friend, hoping it'll change her mind about reading, but unfortunately it didn't work out. Thus, from that onwards I never buy any book for my non-reader friends, LOL.

    Ruthie - Books are always the great gifts to people who love to read! :D

    Lisa - Oh, I share the same sentiments too!

    Robin - It's great that your family love to read like you! So far, my eldest daughter who's four shares my passion in books. ;)

    Beth - Yep! Gift cards are the best! Happy holidays to you too!

    Cali -I know gift cards may seem a little impersonal to some people, but to readers they're the perfect gifts! ;)


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.