Melody
This is a weekly event hosted by Marcia of The Printed Page every Wednesday.

As quoted by Marcia:

I love beautiful, and interesting, cover art so every Wednesday I post my 'Cover Attraction' for the week along with a synopsis of the book. Everyone is welcome to stop by and, if they'd like, post a link to their favorite weekly book cover.

* * * * *

My find this week is Little Bee by Chris Cleave. I simply love the colour combination. I always think yellow (or orange) with black makes a wonderful contrast and is very eye-catching even if it is viewed from afar. I also like the simple black outline of a woman, and another smaller white outline of the same being the eye (which I find creative and refreshing). I am also drawn to the cursive writing that seems to flow beautifully so all in all, I love the cover of this book!


Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Published: February 2009

I could not find a synopsis from the author's site or any on the online bookstores (I have to say the publisher has succeeded in keeping me intrigued!) but I did find something similiar to a blurb from Booklist on Amazon:

Little Bee, smart and stoic, knows two people in England, Andrew and Sarah, journalists she chanced upon on a Nigerian beach after fleeing a massacre in her village, one grisly outbreak in an off-the-radar oil war. After sneaking into England and escaping a rural “immigration removal” center, she arrives at Andrew and Sarah’s London suburb home only to find that the violence that haunts her has also poisoned them. In an unnerving blend of dread, wit, and beauty, Cleave slowly and arrestingly excavates the full extent of the horror that binds Little Bee and Sarah together. A columnist for the Guardian, Cleave earned fame and notoriety when his first book, Incendiary, a tale about a terrorist attack on London, was published on the very day London was bombed in July 2005. His second ensnaring, eviscerating novel charms the reader with ravishing descriptions, sly humor, and the poignant improvisations of Sarah’s Batman-costumed young son, then launches devastating attacks in the form of Little Bee’s elegantly phrased insights into the massive failure of compassion in the world of refugees. Cleave is a nerves-of-steel storyteller of stealthy power, and this is a novel as resplendent and menacing as life itself. ~ Donna Seaman

* * * * *

To find out more or participate go to The Printed Page every Wednesday.

20 Responses

  1. Julia Says:

    What a wonderful book cover! I hope that the book inside is as wonderful as it is from the cover ;) :)


  2. I like the cover too, Melody. And the book sounds like a good one as well. Thanks for sharing!


  3. Melody Says:

    Naida - I'm glad we share the same sentiments. :)

    Julia - I hope the story is as good too. ;)

    Wendy - I might want to add this book to my wishlist. Oh, and what a long list! ;)


  4. Anonymous Says:

    I think it's a pretty cover, but the orange is a little too much for me. But yes, i too love the outline of the lady.


  5. Sandy Nawrot Says:

    This one has caught my eye on the shelves. Very simple but attractive!


  6. Ms. Yingling Says:

    This looks like a really interesting book. I will have to track down a copy.


  7. Debi Says:

    I adore this cover, too...very striking. And the book sounds really good! I'd never heard of it before, but I'm adding it to my wish list now. :)


  8. Definitely attracts the eye! I've seen this one around recently--sounds interesting.


  9. Darlene Says:

    You're right, this is a very eye catching cover. I think I've seen a different cover here in Canada for this one that isn't as cool as this one. I'll have to take a peek.


  10. Alice Says:

    I love the colour orange. It's such a bubbly colour and it always make me smile. Great cover! :D


  11. Ana S. Says:

    That is pretty!


  12. Melody Says:

    Violet - I love orange, because it's a cheerful colour to me. :)

    Sandy, Yingling - Indeed! I want to read the book too!

    Debi - I've seen this book mentioned on a few blogs... but I haven't seen it at any of the local bookstores yet. I'll have to look out for it.

    Trish - The premise sounds interesting, isn't it? I can't wait to get a copy of this.

    Dar - Oh, I didn't know there's a different cover for this book. I'm curious to know how it looks like... ;)

    Alice - That's what I thought too! ;)

    Nymeth - Glad you think so too! :)


  13. Darlene Says:

    Melody, you can see the cover in Canada here:

    http://www.randomhouse.ca/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9780385665308


  14. Melody Says:

    Dar - Thanks for forwarding the link to me! I really appreciate it! :)


  15. Wrighty Says:

    This one is so interesting. Everything has a double meaning like the white eye is also a woman. I like the colors too. Orange and black were my high school and college colors!


  16. Melody Says:

    Wrighty - The colours, together with the illustrations are attractive, aren't they? :)


  17. Unknown Says:

    Yup I have to agree that's a beautiful book cover...


  18. Wanda Says:

    It certainly grabs ones attention — love the creativeness of this cover art!


  19. Melody Says:

    Ulat Buku - I'm glad you feel the same way too. :)

    Wanda - The cover art is gorgeous, isn't it?


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.