Melody
This is a weekly event hosted by Marcia of The Printed Page every Wednesday.

Marcia says:

I love beautiful, and interesting, cover art so every Wednesday I post my 'Cover Attraction' for the week along with a synopsis of the book. Everyone is welcome to stop by and, if they'd like, post a link to their favorite weekly book cover.

* * * * *

This will be one of those books that I will pick based on the cover alone. Then again, I thought the blurb sounds good and intriguing, especially if it's a mystery featuring Daphne du Maurier, the author of Rebecca.

Murder on the Cliffs by Joanna Challis
ISBN-13: 9780312367145
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Published: November 2009

Synopsis (From B&N):

The storm led me to Padthaway.

I could never resist the allure of dark swirling clouds, windswept leaves sweeping down cobbled lanes or a view of the sea stirring up its defiant nature. The sea possessed a power all of its own and this part of Cornwall, an isolated stretch of rocky cliff tops and unexplored beaches both enchanted and terrified me.

It is not a lie to say I felt drawn out that day, led to a certain destiny...

So begins this new mystery series featuring young Daphne du Maurier, headstrong, adventurous, and standing at the cusp of greatness.

Walking on the cliffs in Cornwall, she stumbles upon the drowned body of a beautiful woman, dressed only in a nightgown, her hair strewn along the rocks, her eyes gazing up to the heavens. Daphne soon learns that the mysterious woman was engaged to marry Lord Hartley of Padthaway, an Elizabethan mansion full of intriguing secrets.

As the daughter of the famous Sir Gerald du Maurier, Daphne is welcomed into the Hartley home, but when the drowning turns out to be murder, Daphne determines to get to the bottom of the mysteries of Padthaway—in part to find fresh inspiration for her writing, and in part because she cannot resist the allure of grand houses and long buried secrets.

5 Responses
  1. Darlene Says:

    That is a great cover and the book sounds fantastic.


  2. Julia Says:

    I love the cover art because the way the cliff are shown :)


  3. Anonymous Says:

    Wow! Intriguing! It's got a bizarre look to it. Nice one.


  4. Melody Says:

    Thanks, ladies! I'll have to add this book on to my wishlist.


  5. This one does sound intriguing, Melody. And I love the cover too.


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.