Melody
I read from Veens' blog that March 20th was in fact Bibliomania Day. What's a Bibliomania Day, you may ask. Well, here's the quote from Veens':
On March 20, 1990, Stephen Blumberg of Ottumwa, Iowa, was arrested for stealing over 23,600 books worth $20 million and weighing 19 tons. So look out for a the "bookey-man"!

Like many book thieves, Blumberg was also a book lover. "It was his habit to read constantly through the night, cat-napping, waking, reading, dozing, waking, reading again, never fully sleeping.

(click here to read more of Stephen Blumberg, taken from 123people.com)
Veens also tagged me for this fun meme:

#1: Are there any books you would like to beg, borrow, or steal?
Yes, too many of them!

#2: Are you addicted to trips to Borders or the public library?
I'm definitely addicted to visiting the bookstores! In fact, I always make sure to visit the bookstore at least once a week, since it is so conveniently located near my workplace. Ha!

As for public library, I'm sad to say I have never been to one for years (I can't recall when), but that's because I have enough books at home to keep me busy for years, and plus I don't think I'm able to return those books on time (with work, family commitments and so forth).

#3: Do you have a way to remember what books you have read?
I don't keep a list of books I read during my pre-blogging days, thus this blog is a great way for me to keep a record besides getting to know more friends around the world who share the same passion with me!

#4: When did your love of books begin?
It all started when I was in primary school. The first two authors who got me hooked to their books are Carolyn Keene and Enid Blyton. And as for the rest, as they say, is history.

#5: What is a favorite book?
If you ask me for a favourite book, I'm afraid I can't tell you much since I have too many of them on my list! But I can tell you what makes the list of my favourite book: great characterisation, a plot that blew me away and also that it is able to evoke emotions in me. But that is not all, for I also look out for the author's prose and voice. All in all, I love reading books that make me think.

#6: Do you still have in your possession a book borrowed, but not returned to its rightful owner?
I am relieved to say all the books I read in the past have already been returned to their rightful owners (not that I borrow a lot nowadays. Refer my answer to #2).

#7: What's the most in library fines you have owed?
I always make sure to return all library books on time, but of course there were some occasions I failed to do so. I think the most I paid is 60 cents.

#8: Do you loan books out to others?
Yes, I do but not often since most of my friends do not like to read (that's why I love this bookblogging community so I can always talk about books with you all).

I tag the following friends for this meme:
11 Responses
  1. Veens Says:

    You have saved your personal Library from being Burgled Melody! I am proud of you :P)

    That was so cool, knowing more! Thank you for doing this!! I also read Enid Blyton a lot when I was young!


  2. Violet Says:

    wow Mel, you are quick. Nice answers.

    I really want to read Enid Blyton someday.


  3. Darlyn Says:

    i never know!is it actually a bibliomania day?that is absolutely interesting.i think i should celebrate it from now on.haha..

    p/s: i was giggling when i read my name on your tag list.because i actually kind of stole a few books when i was in primary school.it was a bet and really foolish..*LOL*


  4. Ana S. Says:

    I have to say that I'm wary of lending books to others these days after a few bad experiences with some that never got returned :( I'm protective of my books, what can I say :P

    Love your answers :D


  5. Aarti Says:

    I heard about bibliomania day! It's fun/kind of dangerous ;-)

    I only lend books to some people now. One of my books is still with a cousin and unlikely to ever be returned. Sigh.


  6. Alice Says:

    Thanks for the tag, Melody. I'll work on them as soon as I can. :)


  7. Joanna Says:

    This is really interesting :) Caroline Keene and Enid Blyton were the ones who got me hooked too ! :)


  8. Ceri Says:

    Ooh, thanks for the tag, hunni. Will definitely do this. :D I can't believe someone tried to steal over 23,000 books! That's incredible. haha.


  9. Ceri Says:

    I tagged you in a meme on my blog too, btw. :)


  10. Julia Says:

    I enjoy getting to know your reading habit and love for books, Melody. I just posted mine today, so thanks for the tagged :)


  11. Melody Says:

    Thank you all for commenting! :) How I wish I have some time to answer your reply on a one-to-one basis! *sigh*

    Ceri - Thanks for tagging me! I'll try to do it soon. :D


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.