Melody


ISBN-13: 9780425251270
Publisher: Jove Books
Publication Date: 6 May 2014
Format: Paperback, 304 pgs
Source: Personal Library



It'd been a long time since I've read a contemporary romance. Several years ago, before I started this blog, most of the books I read are romance. Contemporary romance, historical romance, romance suspense, paranormal romance. . . you name it, they are on my read list. Then I found myself in this wonderful blogging community, and it has allow me to explore other books which I don't think I'd be reading without all the lovely reviews and recommendations. Thank you, my bookbloggers friends, for sharing those books! 

Back to this post, I want to say reading It Happened One Wedding reminds me why I love reading romance in the first place. Witty, sexy and romantic; this book has all the right elements of a good romance story. 

Sidney Sinclair is a career-minded woman. She takes pride in her job as a director at a private equity firm and while she scores in clinching business deals, she finds it lacking when it comes to the love department. She has decided that men who are commitment-phobic or playboys are off from her list. 

Special agent Vaughn Roberts is the man who fits right on her list. Confident, flirty and good-looking, Vaughn is the man Sinclair who'd avoid at any costs but fate decides otherwise and they are thrown into close contact since they are best man and maid of honour for their siblings' wedding. You see, Vaughn's younger brother, Simon, is to marry Sidney's younger sister, Isabelle. 

Sidney is stuck with him no matter she likes it or not, until Isabelle walks down the aisle. Vaughn, on the other hand, is determined to win over this cool and confident redhead. After all, he has not encountered a woman who would say no to him until her. 

What makes this story a fun read is the exchanges between Sidney and Vaughn (they've some witty dialogues there.) As you can imagine, they didn't leave a good impression with each other initially and I liked the fact that they didn't fall in love at first sight. I think love at first sight do exist, but I'm a little skeptical about it. Thus, when I read that Sidney and Vaughn didn't fit into that category, I was curious on how and what it takes to make their relationship grows, especially since they rub each other off the wrong way the first time they met. 

But of course, sincerity, trust and respect play a huge part in a relationship and as the time goes, Sidney and Vaughn can't help but to be attracted to each other. But what's so memorable about the romance is Vaughn changed his mindset about commitment and the things he'd done for Sidney simply made my heart melt. Yeah. 

I really enjoyed reading this love story between Sidney and Vaughn. They had me chuckle over their squabbles; and they had me smile over their exchanges and the things they have done for each other. I also liked reading about their siblings, Simon and Isabelle, whom I felt are humble and down-to-earth people. Their sweet romance may not be the core of this book, but they do play a part in putting Vaughn and Sidney together. 

It Happened One Wedding is the third book I read by Julie James (after Just the Sexiest Man Alive and Practice Makes Perfect, that is) and I have to say each book didn't disappoint me. Ms. James is one of my favourite romance authors and I know I can always count on her books if I want something romantic and fun to read.
6 Responses
  1. I just read my first book by this author earlier this year. I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to reading more. I am so glad to hear that you enjoy her books as well! Great review!


  2. Melody Says:

    Samantha - I'm glad you enjoyed Julie James' book as well. She's definitely onto my to-buy list.


  3. This sounds like a wonderful book, Melody. In the past two to three years I have started really getting back into romance focused novels--and I've been enjoying them. Sometimes a good love story is just what I need!


  4. Melody Says:

    Wendy - I've lost count of the no. of romance books I'd read during my pre-blogging days, but that's basically what I was reading back then, lol. I kinda missed those days when the bookseller I frequented would recommend some books and the arrivals of new releases. Unfortunately it'd closed down. :(

    I still miss reading romance, but nowadays my reading are more towards the thrillers but it'd be super if there's bits of romance in them. :)


  5. Anonymous Says:

    Aw, I like Julie James. I read more historical romance than contemporary as a rule, but I always read whatever Julie James and Victoria Dahl put out.


  6. Melody Says:

    Jenny - I miss reading historical romance. I need to get to them soon. I don't think I've read anything by Victoria Dahl though; I'll have to check out her books. Thanks for the mention!


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.