Melody
I was clearing my drawer the other day and found some bookmarks I'd collected over the years. So, my post title may seemed to be an exaggeration; after all they aren't that many as compared to readers or collectors who have collected much more than I. Still, they are my treasured items. 


As shown, these bookmarks are from the Book Depository. If you are a regular customer, you would know that they would enclose a bookmark whenever you purchase a book from them. What I love about these bookmarks is, they are designed by readers like you and me from all over the world.  


OK, so some of these are not really bookmarks but more like book plates. They are sent by authors when I requested from them a while back. I used to read lots of historical romance back then.  


I didn't know what to categorise these bookmarks as they are an assortment from book store, accessories store (really!), tel co and an attraction place. The bookmarks below are sent together with the poppets I purchased years back; they are actually cute little clay figurines and the designer handmade every one of them. I love her creativity!     


Finally, these bookmarks are the ones which I considered to be more "bookish". The second bookmark (from left) is a miniature rendition of an actual world famous Oriental Carpet. It is a "Tabriz" (Persia) and its original circa is 1710. Wow. The one right below is a bookmark I bought from a souvenir shop in South Korea two years ago. As you can see, it is a "Hanbok", which is their traditional dress. This, as well as the miniature rendition of the carpet bookmark are my most treasured bookmarks given their value and sentiments. 

What about you? Do you collect bookmarks? Do share some pics if you do! :-)
12 Responses
  1. jenclair Says:

    I love bookmarks! I used to include cool bookmarks in letters when I sent them. It is kind of sad that writing a letter is such a rare thing today.

    The thing about bookmarks is that I rarely use my good ones. I use whatever is on hand at the moment, often this is bookmark tape from Levenger's that I can write notes on as well.

    The Poppet bookmarks remind me of Carl's reading challenges. Lisa donated one for a prize during the first year or so.


  2. Kay Says:

    Oh, Melody, this is so fun! I love bookmarks and have hoarded them. If you don't mind, I'll borrow this concept and do a bookmark post of my own in a couple of weeks. And yes, I have a lot of them. I always use a bookmark when I'm reading a regular book, but like Jenclair, I don't use my treasured ones. They sit in a drawer. I need to get them out and use them.

    Love the Harry Potter one and the little dress. Precious! Thanks so much for sharing with us.


  3. Melody Says:

    Jenclair - Oh yes! I miss snail mails too! During my school days, the school bookshop sold letters stationery and I was gaga over them.

    I don't use all the bookmarks I have too. I've a few which I use regularly and of course the nicer ones are meant for the eyes, not the books, lol.

    The poppet bookmarks are from Lisa Snellings. I believe it's the same Lisa you're referring to. ;)


  4. Melody Says:

    Kay - Of course I don't mind, Kay. I love seeing bookmarks from other readers too. I can't wait to see your collection! :)


  5. What a lovely collection, Melody! I have one too. I should do a similar post. :-) Mine are kept in a drawer within easy reach if I need one. I more often than not use scraps of paper or receipts though. Not sure why.


  6. Anonymous Says:

    I love my bookmarks! I like to accumulate them every time I shop at a new independent bookstore -- it makes a nice little collection and a reminder of the bookshops I've loved. I don't know if I use them ALL, but I keep them in small piles scattered around my apartment, so that I'll have some handy whenever I need to.


  7. Unknown Says:

    What a great collection!


  8. Melody Says:

    Wendy - Yes, you should do a similar post, Wendy. And I do get what you mean about using scraps of paper or receipts as bookmarks; I do that sometimes too. ;)


  9. Melody Says:

    Jenny - I love it that bookstores give bookmarks to their customers! We only have one major bookstore chain which do that, but it's only towards Christmas or New Year's time and it's not an annual thing. Still, their bookmarks always make me happy.


  10. Melody Says:

    Irene - Thanks, Irene! I wish I've more to show. Hopefully next time. :)


  11. Iliana Says:

    Thank you for sharing pics from your collection! I love collecting bookmarks too. I still have a bookmark from my childhood. Haha... It's fun to go through my collection because they remind me of places I've gone or books I associate with them.


  12. Melody Says:

    Iliana - I think most readers are bookmark collectors too. :) I agree they serve as good memories aside from all the fun.


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.