Melody
ISBN-13: 978-1407121116
Publisher: Scholastic
Published: July 2011
Format: Paperback, 448 pgs
Source: Personal Library




Forever is the final instalment of Maggie Stiefvater’s Wolves of Mercy Falls Series and readers who had read Shiver and Linger would be able to understand my anticipation and enthusiasm of reading this long-awaited novel; a series which have enticed many readers into Maggie’s world of werewolves unlike the others.

Forever continues where Linger left off but unlike the previous instalments, this book focused more on the struggles that Grace and Sam faced and how they are finding ways to improve (or hopefully to solve) the tricky situation they have fell into, together with the help of Cole, a friend of both who has the looks and charisma to charm your socks off easily (including myself) and Isabel, who I think has character no matter if you like her or not. Then, there are also Sam’s feelings towards Beck, a father figure whom Sam look up to and goes to whenever he has problems.

The beginning of the story tends to be going on slow in my opinion, but the pace picks up towards the middle and then there is no turning back. The switching point of views enabled me to get into each character’s mind (in particular to Grace, Sam, Cole and Isabel) and to feel the emotions they are through. To avoid spoilers and for other readers who haven’t read this series, I had chosen not to write the premise of what happened to these characters so all I have to say is there is a call for wolves hunting and that the lives of some of these characters are at stake.

While I enjoyed reading the romance between Grace and Sam, I had hoped that there would be romance between Cole and Isabel even though the emotions they felt for each other are subtle. In any ways I felt there is potential between them and I hope the author will write their stories in the near future.

Like any other highly anticipated and well read series, the ending is always the hardest to read because you never know where the author would take you and also, would the readers be able to accept a sad ending should it call for it. Forever, however, is one of those stories that didn’t wrap up with a big red bow. By saying this, I didn’t mean it to be a sad ending but rather an ending which makes you think, hope and to look back on the experience which the characters have been through. All in all, I enjoyed reading this series and I am glad to note that Maggie Stiefvater has a new release, The Scorpio Races, to be out in October in which she will take us into her world of horses and racing.

9 Responses
  1. I haven't read any of the books in this series but I know people really enjoy them. I actually like when things don't wrap up in a pretty red bow--except when I don't like the bow the author chose of course. ;) Maybe one day I'll get to these.


  2. Veens Says:

    I haven't read any book in the series, but have heard good things about them. It is good to know that this one doesn't disappoint.


  3. Darlene Says:

    I really, really need to read these books! I have the first two but just haven't gotten around to them. It seems most people have loved the series. Glad you did!


  4. Violet Says:

    I have read Shiver but I wasn't very impressed with it. Still I liked the world she created and considering your reviews on this series, I would definitely love to give the second book a try


  5. Beth F Says:

    I just skimmed this because I haven't yet read it. I like the first book better than the second, but I want to read this too.


  6. The Bookworm Says:

    Glad you've enjoyed this series Mel. I haven't read these but have been eyeing them.
    It's always bittersweet when a series ends.


  7. Julia Says:

    This is a very interesting review, Melody! I do recall you writing reviews for both Shiver and Linger, and how much you love the series. And thanks for telling me what a great books these are, as I know you would highly recommend them :) Hopefully you enjoy the author new release The Scorpio :)


  8. Unknown Says:

    I love Maggie Stiefvater's writing. Though the first two books in this series were, in my humble opinion, better. However, she was able to end the series with Forever wonderfully, with a little room for maybe a follow up? :D Love her books!
    Seattle DUI Lawyer


  9. Unknown Says:

    LOVE this series and I really did love the ending because its not the too perfect ending of most other books.
    Lake LBJ Real Estate


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.