Melody


HarperCollins Publishers | January 2018 | 496 pgs
Source: Library




Alafair Burke's latest release, The Wife, is a domestic suspense which is part police procedural and part legal thriller and revolves around issues like secrets, deceptions, kidnapping and murder. 

The story opens with the wife, Angela Powell being questioned by the police on her husband's whereabouts the day Kerry Lynch went missing. Jason Powell is an economics professor at NYU and aside from his lecturing profession, he also has a consulting firm and has written a bestselling book which put him (as well as his family) in the spotlight. As much as the fame and wealth are doing well for the Powells, Angela, on the other hand, is trying hard to avoid being in the limelight. She is worried that someday the media would find out about her past given her connection to Jason and that is what she fears most - her past identity exposed and an incident which has changed her life ever since. Jason didn't know about that past, and she intends to keep it under wraps until he is embroiled in a case with two women accusing him of sexual innuendo and rape respectively. Angela chose to believe and stand by Jason until one of the women disappeared. 

The Wife was an unputdownable book filled with suspense and twists with the "he said, she said" information and I found myself engrossed in this complex story between husband and wife and how well do you really know your other half. Jason and Angela are both intriguing characters; and truth be told I'm not sure how I felt about them. They aren't really likeable, and there are times I didn't know who to believe (Jason or the women?) and why Angela chose to stand by him. When pieces of the puzzle began to fit to form a whole picture, I began to marvel at the author's skilful craft of weaving this story into something else which I'd guessed at some point but not wholly and definitely not what I'd anticipated. Recommended. 

Note: The Wife will be adapted as a major motion picture by Amazon Studios according to the author's website and she will be writing the screenplay. 


© 2018 Melody's Reading Corner (https://mel-reading-corner.blogspot.sg/), All Rights Reserved. If you are reading this post from other site(s), please take note that this post has been stolen and is used without permission.
14 Responses
  1. Jenny Says:

    I’ll take your word for it. Thabks for the rec.


  2. Kay Says:

    I think my feelings about this book were similar to yours. Not knowing what to think or who to believe and not particularly liking any of the characters all that much. I went back and read my review and noted that I liked the SVU detective best. Ha! Good to know about the movie and how nice that the author will be writing the screenplay.


  3. Lark Says:

    You've been reading lots of good books lately. I'm not always drawn to domestic suspense novels, but I'm glad you enjoyed this one. Alafair Burke is a good author. :)


  4. Melody Says:

    Jenny - Hope you'll enjoy it!


  5. Melody Says:

    Kay - Yes, I liked the SVU detective too. I'm hoping she'll be featured again in Alafair's future releases.


  6. Melody Says:

    Lark - Yes, it seems like I have and I'm glad to find those book gems. :) Domestic suspense novels are either a hit or a miss to me and I'm glad this one was a great read.


  7. Iliana Says:

    Great recommendation, Melody! I've had my eye on this one too so hopefully I'll get to it one of these days!


  8. I have a copy of this one. I love books like this and seem to be gravitating towards them as of late. Great review, Melody!


  9. Ash Says:

    Well this one definitely looks interesting!


  10. jenclair Says:

    While I prefer likable characters, sometimes the suspense is worth dealing with characters you wouldn't really want to know!


  11. Melody Says:

    Iliana - Hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did, Iliana.


  12. Melody Says:

    Wendy - Thanks, Wendy! I'll be curious of your thoughts when you get to it.


  13. Melody Says:

    Ashlea - It was, Ashlea! I'm glad I read it.


  14. Melody Says:

    Jenclair - Yes, exactly! :)


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.