Melody


  • ISBN-13: 9780062319142
  • Publisher: HarperCollins Publishers
  • Publication date: July 2014
  • Format: Trade Paperback, 384 pgs
  • Source: Publisher



Thirty years ago in Newport, young Alden Corrigan took his father’s dinghy out to fish. In a sudden storm, he saw a girl stranded on the breakwater. He managed to save her and had her placed under the care of his neighbor, the Hollis family, under the urgent circumstances and also knowing that his father would throw a fit should he know he had the dinghy out under the bad weather. 

It turned out that the girl was pregnant and she seemed to be running away from her family. The Hollis family helped delivered her baby with the help of the local midwife, but the girl disappeared the following day, leaving behind her newborn baby.

Thirty years after, preservationist Meri Hollis learned about the abandoned baby and was determined to find out the truth, even if it means it'd change the life of everyone around her. 

Breakwater Bay is an engaging story about secrets, unconditional love and belief. Set in Newport with glorious old mansions and the Rhode Island shore, this is a family story about secrets and how one's decision would ruin the others. 

I've to admit I was intrigued by the premise upon reading the blurb; I had high expectations of this book that it'd filled me in with lots of drama or surprise. As much as this was an emotional read, I was disappointed to note that the plot isn't what I had expected. I knew there might be some readers who'd enjoy it and find it satisfactory, but to me it just lacks a little punch. I think another reason is I want to learn more about Alden and Meri, who seemed to have an interest in each other, but I didn't see much development between them, until a hint towards the end. That said, it was an emotional read and I was glad the story left me with much love and optimism. After all I felt this is the true message behind this story and this is what most matters. 

6 Responses
  1. jenclair Says:

    Well, I want to know what happened to the girl who disappeared! I like that it ended with optimism, but it is a shame that it didn't have the punch you were looking for.


  2. The Bookworm Says:

    The blurb does sound good, it's too bad it disappointed a little.


  3. Melody Says:

    The abandoned girl's identity was disclosed earlier in the story; the only thing that had me disappointed was the developments. Oh well. Still, it was an ok read.


  4. Melody Says:

    Yeah... I blame it on my high expectations.


  5. I am curious about this book from the premise, and it's too bad it didn't end up living up to your expectations. You've got me curious though! I want to know if I would feel the same. :-)


  6. Melody Says:

    Wendy, I look forward to your thoughts if you do read it. It's always interesting to hear a different opinion. :)


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.