Melody

ISBN-13: 9780062339485
Publisher: HarperCollins Publishers
Publication Date: 24 February 2015

Format: Paperback, 272 pgs
Source: Publisher




We have all read books about stay-at-home mothers at some point but a perspective from a stay-at-home dad, well not so, at least I have not. Thus, I decided to read this when it was being offered for reviews. 

Finding Jake is a story about Simon Connolly, a stay-at-home dad who has decided to ditch his full-time job (well he does work as a freelance writer) to look after his teenage son, Jake, and his younger daughter, Laney. Simon's wife is one of the partners at a law firm and though she gives one an impression she's climbing up the corporate ladder, deep down she cares a lot about her children too. 

Initially, Simon struggles to be a full-time dad, after all what would people think about him, and on top of that he doesn't really know child rearing and he always find himself break in sweat chatting up with other stay-at-home mothers. Despite these, he grits his teeth and let on. Plus, it is always a bonus to be able to bond with your children isn't it. 

Still, it is always challenging to look after children, let alone a dad with not much experience. Jake is a boy unlike his peers; growing up he's more of a loner and seems to have a mind of his own. Simon dismisses his son's quiet demeanour, thinking it is nothing uncommon and that he is just a boy who dislikes crowds. Until one day there is a mass shooting massacre at his children's school; thirteen students are shot and Jake is nowhere to be found. The police speculated that Jake is one of the shooter's accomplice. For Simon, it is a nightmare and although he thinks Jake isn't a boy who is violent in nature, still he feels himself wavering.  

Absorbing and heart wrenching, author Bryan Reardon tells an unforgettable story about fatherhood and his relationship with his children, and how an horrific event forces him to think of Jake's behaviour and the consequences thereafter. At its core this thought-provoking story is very much about how well you know your children and how much do you trust and believe them. 

I have to say this book touched me in many ways. How many times have we, as parents, think about our children's behaviours and worry that what we teach or guide them is too much or too little? Too harsh or too lenient? This book is not about preaching, but it has made me think about the characteristics and the qualities of our children and sometimes, we do not often see things the way they are. Being different doesn't mean it is a bad thing, as long as the person doesn't hurt anyone. I closed this book teary-eyed, not only of the beautiful, powerful story but the true meanings behind all. Highly recommended. 

10 Responses
  1. Kay Says:

    I read this one last year before I was back to blogging. Won't be writing a review now, but I remember this book very well. The author had an interesting way of relating this story. Don't want to say too much for fear of spoilers. I was satisfied at the end as well.


  2. Melody Says:

    Kay - I agree the author had related this story in an interesting and a refreshing perspective, especially the stay-at-home dad POV. I wish I could say more but that's it. ;-)


  3. jenclair Says:

    I'm both interested and leery of this one. I simply cannot imagine being in the position in which the father finds himself. Just knowing a shooting occurred at your child's school would be horrifying; to find out your child was missing and a suspect...would be shattering.


  4. Melody Says:

    Jenclair - I've to admit it wasn't an easy read. As a parent I couldn't imagine how Simon would go through with that horrific event; the guilt, the stress from everyone and the worry are enough to eat him up. I totally felt for him and his family.


  5. I read a couple books with similar themes last year and both made quite an impression on me. I have a copy of this one and hope to read it at some point soon.


  6. Melody Says:

    Wendy - I look forward to your thoughts on this book, Wendy. :)


  7. Jillian Says:

    I am glad that you finished this book, thinking about your own life. I think any book that can do that to a reader is worth the read! I love it when books can make me think about what I do, etc. This sounds like a very heart wrenching books as well, honest and real. I might have to pick it up.


  8. Melody Says:

    Jillian - I'm glad we share the same sentiments about reading books that make us think. This book may not be an easy read but I feel the topics raised are so important and so true to life. I hope you'll read it in the near future.


  9. The Bookworm Says:

    I have this one as well, I'm looking forward to reading it as it sounds thought provoking, especially for parents.


  10. Melody Says:

    Naida - Yes, it is. Looking forward to your thoughts on this. :)


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.