Melody

I'd had a wonderful time making the milk loaf with the bread machine the last time, so this past Saturday I decided to make another - Mango and Banana Bread. Doesn't this sound yummy? And what I love about the bread machine cookbook is the step-by-step instructions and the introductions of all the necessary ingredients as well. This book definitely suits well for a novice like me, but of course it also includes other recipes which I find very challenging interesting so perhaps one day I'd be able to reach to that stage, ha. (Please note all rights remain with the original copyright holder, Jennie Shapter. The photos of the bread are all mine, though.)



Ingredients (Medium Loaf)
60ml orange and mango juice
200ml buttermilk
1 large banana, peeled and mashed
45ml clear honey
4 1/2 cups unbleached white bread flour
1 tsp salt
3 tbsp butter
1 tsp easy bake dried yeast

1) Pour the fruit juice and buttermilk into the bread machine pan. Add the mashed banana to the bread pan, with the honey. 

2) Sprinkle over the flour, ensuring that it covers the liquid. Place the salt and butter in separate corners of the bread pan. Make a shallow indent in the centre of the flour and add the yeast. 

3) Set the machine to sweet/basic, light crust. Size: 750g. Press start. 

Note: The original recipe includes adding chopped dried mangoes, which I didn't. If you wish, add in 1/3 cup of it to the automatic dispenser before pressing 'Start'. If adding it manually, add when the machine beeps during the kneading cycle. 


Personally, I'd prefer this bread more to milk loaf due to its sweeter flavour (my two young daughters said it was not sweet enough, though. I suppose most children tend to have a sweet tooth so their opinions of the sweet level may different from us.)

Linking this to: 

Weekend Cooking is hosted by Beth Fish Reads and is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, quotations, photographs. For more information, see the welcome post.
8 Responses
  1. Kay Says:

    I don't think I've ever run across mango bread. Banana bread - yes. Sounds good though and yours looks yummy. :-)


  2. Beth F Says:

    I love fruit in bread and have never tried mango. I'm going to give this try next time the mangoes look good in the store.


  3. jenclair Says:

    It sounds good...and unusual. I would have left the dried mangoes out as well, but like the idea of the orange and mango juices.


  4. Melody Says:

    Kay - Me too, Kay! Mango cake I've tried but not bread. The mango taste in this bread wasn't strong though, but perhaps that's because I didn't put the dried mangoes in.


  5. Melody Says:

    Beth - I love fruit in my bread too; the same goes with nuts.


  6. Melody Says:

    Jenclair - Yes, I don't think I've tried anything like this and I find it all so refreshing. :)


  7. Carole Says:

    Fab use of banana. Hope you'll stop by Food on Friday: Bananas to add this to the collection. Cheers from CArole's Chatter


  8. Melody Says:

    Carole - Thanks for visiting my blog, Carole! :)


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.