Melody
June. Can't believe half of the year is almost gone. It just seems like yesterday we celebrated the new year. So far, it's been a mixed year for me. There are good memories, but there are bad and unforgettable ones as well. As for the latter, I'm going to grit my teeth and tell myself to move on, despite it is so hard at times, but I'm glad I have a supportive/encouraging husband whom I can lean on any time.  

So, June also means school holidays over here in Singapore. Primary schools here have a month long holidays in June and December. I'm sure most working mothers are happy to take some days off in these two months to spend some time with their children, but for stay-at-home mothers (like myself) these months seem like any month to us (well, since we are with our children all the time.) And these two months are a headache to me as I rarely get any peace at home with my two girls around. Well, they aren't that terrible, in case you are wondering, but they can be so noisy at times and of course, there are always little petty squabbles around. A few stay-at-home mothers I knew share the same sentiments so I know I'm not the odd one who doesn't really embrace June and December, ha. 

That said, school holidays also mean trips for our family so on 2nd June we went to Hello Kitty Town located in Puteri Harbour, Malaysia. We bought a package with round-way coach transport with admission tickets so getting there was a breeze. The only down side was the rainy weather on our way back (fortunately it didn't spoil our fun.) Hello Kitty Town is a small indoor kind-of park so it didn't take us too long to complete the tour. 

It has seven fun stations with activities such as cookie decorating, badge making, photo taking with Hello Kitty and friends, solving a puzzle in a maze-like dimmed place in "Hello Kitty Black Wonder" where in the end each participant will get a certificate upon successful completion. It was loads of fun and I wish the place were bigger and that it's outdoor. However the fun didn't stop there, we are planning for another trip to somewhere else so we shall see. 
 
 


Well, June also means my reading progress will be slow but I will try to catch up on it whenever I can. Here's a list of what I'd read for the past five months:
My favourites thus far is those I highlighted in bold. Trust me, I'd a difficult time doing this though there aren't many titles but I know these are the titles I will list again without hesitation should anyone ask me about my favourite reads this year. What are yours? And what's your plan(s) in June? 
12 Responses
  1. Kay Says:

    Seems amazing that almost half the year has gone by, right? Interesting to hear about your trip to the Hello Kitty park. Hope you are still able to get a bit of reading done while your girls are home. :-)

    And, here's hoping for some great reads for the rest of the year. Take care, Melody!


  2. jenclair Says:

    The very rhythm of a school year seems to make time fly by, but when summer arrives, keeping kids occupied becomes a challenge that can seem endless. Things are more difficult now in some ways, parents can't just say "be back for lunch" like my mother did before my brother and I headed out in the neighborhood with our friends. That means moms have more responsibilities for keeping kids entertained and safe and less time for themselves. My daughter's summer schedule for our granddaughter intimidates me.

    Your trip to the Hello Kitty Park sounds interesting--lots of fun activities for your girls! Good luck, Melody, and I know you'll get some reading done in between managing your girls. :)


  3. It doesn't seem possible the year is already half over. I am sorry you have been having to deal with some difficult issues. Thank goodness for supportive spouses!

    I'm not a stay at home mom, but I do understand your sentiments to some degree, Melody. I can just imagine. I hope you are able to find some quiet time somewhere in there.

    Mouse would love Hello Kitty Town, I am sure. It sounds like a fun trip. I'm glad you had a nice time.


  4. Melody Says:

    Kay - I'm hoping, Kay, LOL. I can't wait to see what titles catch our attention for the rest of the year.


  5. Melody Says:

    Jenclair - That's so true of what you said. I've a lot of mothers telling me they've to "lend" their children smartphones to keep them quiet and entertained. Those traditional toys no longer interested them much. But of course there's always other children who're happy with what they have.

    I'll definitely squeeze in some reading here and there. I hope my attention won't be distracted quickly, lol.


  6. Melody Says:

    Wendy - Thanks, Wendy! Sometimes I'm wondering if I should get back to the work force, lol. But of course children bring us joy too, among other things. There's always pros and cons in everything, right? ;)

    Yes, I think Mouse will enjoy visiting Hello Kitty Town. :) I'm sure most girls like the characters. So adorable!


  7. Unknown Says:

    Having siblings under the same roof, during vacation, can be trying. For the sake of her sanity, my mom had to come up with ways to get us out of the house. :-)

    It looks like you read a lot of terrific books this year.


  8. The Bookworm Says:

    Time flies Melody. You have read so much so far! I'm still waiting for a new favorite book to steal my heart this year, but so far my favorite has been Letters to the Lost by Iona Grey.
    Hello Kitty Town looks like alot of fun.
    Enjoy your week!


  9. Iliana Says:

    I can't believe we are partway through the year! You've done great with your reading and that's wonderful you have so many favorite reads.

    Your trip to Hello Kitty town sounds like so much fun. I bet your girls loved it.

    I'm excited about our vacation but it's not for a while yet so for now it just means dealing with the heat. Maybe I should read some books set in cold lands :)


  10. Melody Says:

    Irene - I know what you mean, Irene. I think bringing them out is a great idea. If only I can do so every day during the school holidays! ;-)


  11. Melody Says:

    Naida - I haven't read anything by Iona Grey. I'll have to check out her books.

    Hope you've a great week! :)


  12. Melody Says:

    Iliana - I'm looking forward to the books I'm gonna read for the rest of the year. I've a few great books in the queue and I just couldn't decide which title to read first. ;-)

    Our weather has been hot and humid over here; and June is one of those months which we feel the heat most. I'll have to rummage my shelf and see which book has a setting set in cold lands. :)


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.