Melody

ISBN-13: 9780062390486
Publisher: HarperCollins Publishers
Publication Date: January 2016
Format: eBook, 304 pgs
Source: Publisher via Edelweiss


Jack Harris has been framed for murder. It all started when he spotted a beautiful stranger along the Hudson River during his morning run, enjoying her champagne picnic alone and reading his favourite novel. She reminds him of her late wife, Molly, who had died during a mass shooting situation. It should have stayed that way, he reminiscing his wife and go on with his life but his best friend thinks otherwise. He posted a message on a popular website, hoping Jack would find love again and true enough, that same beautiful stranger responds and they agreed to meet in person. Unfortunately things didn't turn out that way; Jack did turn up for their meeting but she is nowhere in sight. And the next thing he knew, he is accused of killing Malcom Neely. He is the father of the shooter who had killed Jack's wife and a few others three years ago. 

Olivia Randall is Jack's ex-fiancée. She is also one of New York City’s best criminal defence lawyers. When she heard that Jack has been arrested for murder, she is sure this must have all been a mistake. The Jack she knew is not a person who would kill; and she knew she has to help him as a make up for past regrets and that they had parted ways due to some unfortunate circumstances. 

As Olivia begins to work on Jack's case, she realises that things are not as easy as what she has thought. Who and why would someone wants to frame Jack? And then there is this thought: What if she never really knew him? After all, she has not seen him in twenty years. 

I have to admit I had a hard time focusing on reading The Ex in the beginning; I think it was the measured pace that put me off reading it quickly but then, December is a busy month so my attention might be on elsewhere, too. That said, I was glad I stuck with the book and towards half of it the pace quickens and the intrigue as well as the intensity build up. What makes this book such an interesting read is the characterisation of Olivia Randall. She is definitely one unforgettable character with a strong voice. All in all, I found The Ex was an engaging legal thriller. The ending wasn't what I had expected and that is a good thing.




(Photo Credit - Google Images) 

Wishing you a very Merry Christmas! I hope you have a wonderful holidays with your loved ones!
6 Responses
  1. I have this one to read and hope I enjoy it. I am sorry it got off to such a slow start. I've enjoyed Alafair Burke's books in the past.

    I hope you had a Merry Christmas, Melody!


  2. jenclair Says:

    This one sounds interesting. I like the idea of thinking you know someone, but after a twenty-year gap wondering if you ever really did. People always surprise us and people change--deciding whether or not to trust adds an extra layer.


  3. Melody Says:

    Wendy - I'm new to this author so I need to check out the other books as well. I hope you'll enjoy reading this book!

    Here's wishing you a Happy 2016, Wendy!:-)


  4. Melody Says:

    Jenclair - Yes, that's part of an interesting aspect of this book. It keeps you wondering...


  5. I like this author but, I am behind on the last few books. I'm hoping that the pace flows better for me when I try it. Happy New Year


  6. Melody Says:

    Diane - Happy New Year! I'm not familiar with this author but I do want to check out the other books after reading this one. Hope you'll enjoy reading The Ex.


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.