Melody

ISBN-13: 9781444775815
Publisher: Sceptre
Publication Date: May 2015
Format: Paperback, 320 pgs
Source: Purchased



First of all, Happy New Year! I hope you had a wonderful holidays. Now that the holidays are over, it is back to reality and honestly speaking, I am still trying to 'tune' myself back to fit into my normal routine and let's just say I am still coping, ha. Anyway back to the review. 

I am sure many of you have this experience - You have heard and read so many glowing reviews of a book but yet you have put off reading it for many reasons. A Man Called Ove is one of those books to me. This charming story has evoked so many emotions in me; it'd made me laugh, smile and cry. It's amazing how a story could do that to you, but here it is. 

Ove isn't a man you would warm up with at first glance, or even after your first meeting with. For starters, he is grumpy. And he doesn't think highly of anyone who doesn't do things the right way and properly. And he certainly doesn't stand people talking in codes; especially a language which may imply a slang or referring things in other words. In other words, he is simply an old-fashioned man who believes doing or mending his own stuff and following the rules. He has worked hard all his life, paid his taxes, never had a loan and is fiercely loyal to his Saab car. He is also a man of few words but as the story progresses, readers will be able to understand the characteristics of Ove; why he becomes the person he is and how towards the end he will make us readers think differently of him and even truly respect him as a person. 

I wouldn't want to say too much about this book as I feel it is best to read it yourself but I do want to say it has led me thinking about a lot of things after reading it. Such as, in terms of technology and lifestyles, it appears that things aren't what they used to be. We strive for improvements in technology, yet we seem to have forgotten how to take in the joy of building things our own way and preserving them. We tend to change new things more easily and more frequently now; and while this certainly implies that our society has improved over the years but from another angle it might also mean our sentimental values deteriorate.  

Of course the story might lean towards sentimentality, but it gravitate towards a feel-good and hopeful feeling which allows me to see the older generation differently and in a new light, especially people like Ove. 

As you can tell, I enjoyed reading this book very much and now I know why it is a bestseller. 


PS: I want to thank my blog reader, Reta Kenter, for taking her time in writing to me and recommending this book to me. 


8 Responses
  1. Iliana Says:

    Great review, Melody! This sounds wonderful. I have to put it on my list!

    Hope you have a great reading year and like you, it was tough to get back into the swing of things after the holidays. I have a feeling it's going to be a long week at work :)


  2. Jeane Says:

    I've heard so much about it and yes, I do want to read it and keep putting it off! Hopefully I'll actually get to it soon.


  3. Melody Says:

    Iliana - Thanks, Iliana! It was indeed a wonderful read to me.

    I hope you've a great week! :-)


  4. Melody Says:

    Jeane - I hope you'll enjoy reading this when you get to it, but don't wait too long. :-)


  5. I am so glad you enjoyed this one, Melody! I loved it. It brought out quite a few different emotions in me as well. I came to really care for Ove.


  6. Anonymous Says:

    My dad just read this and loved it! I have to admit I've been getting it mixed up (oh dear) with Karl Ove Knausgaard's monster multivolume My Struggle, and glowering at it as a consequence. Totally unfair! Must keep them straight in my head so I can read the charming one!


  7. I'm glad you loved it! I've heard so much about this book, though have yet to pick it up.


  8. Melody Says:

    Wendy - I'm glad we shared the same sentiments, Wendy. :)

    Jenny - Ah, now you've given me a new title to explore. :) I hope you'll enjoy it when you do.

    Diana - This is one of those books which is a must-read. I hope you'll pick it up sooner. :)


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.