Melody


Houghton Mifflin | January 2016 | 288 pgs
Source: Library


The Poison Artist was an extraordinary mystery I read among many others; one which totally engaged me from the beginning till the end with the writer's prose right up to how this story was skilfully crafted and told.

Dr. Caleb Maddox is a toxicologist and he is also studying the chemical effects of pain. One evening after a fallout with his artist girlfriend, he goes to a bar and encounter a mysterious woman. Bewitched by her quiet and seductive demeanour over a glass of absinthe, he knew he has to find her by every means.

During his search, there were a few missing men who turned up dead and the post-mortems are inconclusive. Henry, who is Caleb's old friend and a medical examiner, has secretly sought Caleb's insight on the chemical evidence left on the victims' bodies. It turned out that one of the victims was at the same bar the night Caleb frequented; the night which he encountered the mysterious woman.

What follows subsequently was a series of searching and finding answers both from Inspector Kennon as well as Caleb. And as the story progresses, Caleb's search for the killer as well as the mysterious woman entwine and the closer he gets to them he finds himself more confused and putting him in an unfavourable position.

The Poison Artist was a lethally gripping thriller which entranced this reader from its first page till the last. The author's writing was precise and well-written; I found the scenes between Caleb and the mysterious woman to be the most engaging and all the time I was both fascinated and wary of her. Caleb, on the other hand, was obsessed by her despite he knew very little of this woman and that too often her appearance in places are deemed to be questionable. Most of all, I liked it that this story threw me off with its surprises, though I think the outcome may not appease to all readers. Still, I would recommend this to readers who love a good mystery. 


© 2017 Melody's Reading Corner (https://mel-reading-corner.blogspot.sg/), All Rights Reserved. If you are reading this post from other site(s), please take note that this post has been stolen and is used without permission.
8 Responses
  1. jenclair Says:

    This does sound gripping! I'm so curious about the role of the mysterious woman!


  2. Lark Says:

    This is the kind of mystery that'd keep up all night reading. :) Will have to add it to my summer reading list.


  3. Melody Says:

    Jenclair - It was a very absorbing read. Love the author's writing style too so I'll have to keep a look out for his other books. :)


  4. Melody Says:

    Lark - Indeed! And I'm so glad to have found this book. :)


  5. This sounds really good, Melody! Adding this one to my wish list.


  6. Iliana Says:

    Sounds like a great thriller! I haven't heard of this one before but it is going on my list right now!


  7. Melody Says:

    Wendy - I hope you'll enjoy this when you do read it, Wendy.


  8. Melody Says:

    Iliana - It was a great thriller, Iliana. I hope you'll enjoy this too.


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.