Melody
St. Martin's Press | October 2017 | 240 pgs
Source: Library




There are quite a number of books on retelling or reimagination with a different twist and Pride and Prejudice is among those top of the list and I can see why considering it is a well loved classic by many readers. While there are some which fall under the fresh, creative category, there are also some which are simply disappointing. 

In this gender-swapping set in contemporary America, 29-year-old Darcy Fitzwilliam is a beautiful and a successful hedge fund partner in a well known firm in New York. She hasn't set foot in her homeland in Ohio for almost eight years, not even for Christmas until news of her sick mother made her go home to spend the season with her family. 

As in Fitzwilliam tradition, they always hold their annual Christmas party and this year is no exceptional. Darcy is "forced" to reunite with her friends considering she has left quite an impression leaving home for New York. On the top of her "not-to-see" list is Luke Bennet, the smart and sardonic slacker son of their neighbour. They don't hate each other, but they don't like each other too. After a night of too many eggnogs, they found themselves in a compromise situation and although Darcy brushed it aside as just another one-night stand, she couldn't help thinking of him thereafter. But could they fall in love given her pride and his prejudice against big-city girls like her? 

To begin with, I thought this book has lots of potential. I always love a retelling and I'd read one or two of those of P&P in the past and enjoyed them but unfortunately I couldn't find myself liking this one although I wished I did. I think the main reason is the characterisation and also the emotional depth wasn't enough to entice me. I liked Elizabeth from P&P, but Darcy (never mind the gender swap and everything else) didn't really leave too much of an impression on me other than that she was super wealthy and she behaved like a teenager at times; which I hate to say it but alas that was how I viewed it. Overall I think this book didn't work for me but if you don't mind something light and entertaining then this book may probably fit your reading preference. 


© 2018 Melody's Reading Corner (https://mel-reading-corner.blogspot.sg/), All Rights Reserved. If you are reading this post from other site(s), please take note that this post has been stolen and is used without permission.
10 Responses
  1. Jenny Says:

    You’re totally right. There are so many retellings of pride and prejudice. Some are great and some are just plain awful. Sorry this one didn’t do it for you.


  2. Melody Says:

    Jenny - I suppose it's hard not to compare these retellings with the original, right? :p


  3. jenclair Says:

    Win some, lose some. Sorry this one didn't turn out to be a winner.

    Got your letter!


  4. Lark Says:

    I avoid most of these retellings just because I love the original so much, but sometimes they're kind of fun. Sorry this one didn't work for you. :)


  5. Iliana Says:

    Cute cover and this author is one I like to watch for but to be honest I'm really not a fan of re-tellings so probably not one I would check out.


  6. Melody Says:

    Jenclair - Glad my letter arrived!


  7. Melody Says:

    Lark - I love retellings because they're fun to read; but of course the original is always the best. :)


  8. Melody Says:

    Iliana - I think I'd read this author's work before and they're much better. I suppose retellings are either a hit or a miss thing.


  9. I had high hopes for this one and am sorry it wasn't better. I haven't read too many of the re-tellings, but have a few on my shelf. I am not sure if I have this one or not . . . I would have to double check.


  10. Melody Says:

    Wendy - I really want to like this one considering how much I enjoyed P&P but I also know not all retellings work. I suppose that says about other books, too.


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.