Melody
奇幻基地 | May 2017 | 272 pgs
Source: Library


This is book 2 of the second urban legend series by Ling Jing (笭菁). Ling Jing had completed twelve books in her first series and this second series is still ongoing with the ninth installment as the latest. Each book read as a stand-alone although there will be character developments as the series go (but not much of a big issue if you ask me). Ling Jing's books are based on various urban legends added with some imaginations and other elements of her own. 

Urban Legend origin: A tissue commercial from Japan aired in 1986 was taken down after theories revolve around the cast and crew dying mysterious deaths. 

Summary: A well-known actress, including the crew of staff, suffered a mishap respectively after shooting an apple juice commercial. Before the shoot, an assistant claimed he heard someone running on the staircase but no one was seen around the area upon checking. Thereafter, accidents began to happen. A group of students, who are members of the "Urban Legend Society" in their University, decided to look into the case and discover something horrific that happened in the studio awhile back. 

Note: The main characters in this series are different from the first series as the author felt a change for new blood is necessary to offer a new and different perspective. On top of that, people do grow up and change, don't they? 

My thoughts: I don't know why but this made me think of the Japanese movie, The Ring. The similarity between these two is that the cursed video tape (in this case the shooting of the commercial) will lead victims to encounter unfortunate incidents. But, what made this story refreshing is the author blends urban legend with a mystery case which may or may not be supernatural and the creepy/suspense factors were intense. Each character portrays their strengths and weaknesses and these give readers some ideas what's their personality traits are like (also how one or two of them have some kind of specialty, e.g. one has sixth sense, and another is a female professional martial arts fighter - she's fearless and has a sharp observation skill in terms of combat as well as critical thinking. I didn't mention that she's the rose among the thorns and she's my heroine.) My verdict - this is a great series for those who enjoy urban legend tales with a twist. And I hope there'll be an English translation version of them in the near future.  


© 2019 Melody's Reading Corner (https://mel-reading-corner.blogspot.sg/), All Rights Reserved. If you are reading this post from other site(s), please take note that this post has been stolen and is used without permission.
8 Responses
  1. jenclair Says:

    Hmmm. Urban legends--it would to compare and contrast the urban legends of various countries! I think I'd try this if it comes out in an English translation. :)


  2. Lark Says:

    I love when an author builds their own story around an urban legend! I wish I could read this one. :)


  3. Melody Says:

    Jenclair - Yes, it is. It's an interesting take of urban legends together with the author's imaginations. I really hope there'll be an English translation. I'm really enjoying this series. :)


  4. Melody Says:

    Lark - It's just like a retelling, huh? And you know I can't resist retellings. :)


  5. The Bookworm Says:

    This does sound creepy! I remember The Ring, that was scary. Great review post, I'm glad you enjoyed this one.


  6. Melody Says:

    Naida - I think The Ring was the creepiest movie I'd ever watched. The image of the ghost crawling out of the well and TV will always engrave in my mind. Yikes!


  7. Iliana Says:

    The cover of this is so cool! Sounds like a fun series and would love to check it out so hopefully it will be translated into English!


  8. Melody Says:

    Iliana - It's a creepy cover but also one which definitely catches my attention.


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.