Melody
Lake Union Publishing | June 2019 | 368 pgs
Source: Library 


The book opens with five MacAllister siblings returning to their family owned camp to read the will left by their late father. Each sibling has different views of what to do with the estate but they didn't expect that their father had an entirely different plan. They learned that they couldn't do anything to the property until they unravel the mystery surrounding Amanda Holmes. 

Twenty years ago, 17-year-old Amanda Holmes was found washed up on shore in a rowboat with a gash to the head. No one was charged as the police couldn't find any evidence and the case was left unsolved. Each sibling, however, is flawed and harbours a secret and as the story progresses, the reader will learn that each holds a piece of the puzzle to the mystery but the biggest question is, would this group of siblings work together to find the perpetrator or would their secrets tear the family apart? 

Catherine McKenzie's books are a great joy to read because each of her book is different and full of surprises. Books about dysfunctional families and secrets rarely bore me as it explores the complicated human relationship and how one would react under stressed circumstances. In this novel, the author has crafted a suspenseful tale about the dynamics between the MacAllister siblings and the murder of Amanda Holmes through multiple narratives and a series of timelines dictating the siblings' movements on that fateful night. The characters are fleshed out and many aren't likeable; and most of all they made me think about how well do we really know about our family members and the secrets which may separate or bind us forever. This was a twisted and a twisty read; and I enjoyed the intrigue and the author's wonderful storytelling skills.




Christmas is drawing near and before ending this post, I'd like to wish you a Merry Christmas and may your new year be filled with joy and good books! 😃📚


© 2019 Melody's Reading Corner (https://mel-reading-corner.blogspot.sg/), All Rights Reserved. If you are reading this post from other site(s), please take note that this post has been stolen and is used without permission.
10 Responses
  1. Lark Says:

    I'm so glad to know you liked this one. I still need to read it, but other books keeping getting in the way. You know how that goes. I hope you and your family have a very Merry Christmas, Melody!! :D


  2. Melody Says:

    Lark - I'll be curious of your thoughts if you read this book, Lark. I think this book is a great choice for buddy read and for book discussions.
    Merry Christmas to you and your family! :D


  3. Bellezza Says:

    Merry Christmas, Melody! I was so glad to find your Christmas good wishes on my blog today.����


  4. Iliana Says:

    Wishing you a Merry Christmas, Melody!


  5. Melody Says:

    Meredith - Merry Christmas, Meredith! I hope you've a wonderful holidays with your loved ones.


  6. Melody Says:

    Iliana - Merry Christmas and happy holidays, Iliana!


  7. Kay Says:

    I read this book earlier this year and liked it too. I've enjoyed all the books by this author that I've read. Hope you and your family are having happy holidays, Melody! Look forward to talking books with you this next year!


  8. Melody Says:

    Kay - I've read most of her books to-date except her earlier ones. Love her writing style and her storytelling skills.

    Hope you've a wonderful holidays and looking forward to talking books with you next year, too!


  9. jenclair Says:

    I liked this one a lot. The slow reveal of information and my changing opinion of characters kept me engrossed.


  10. Melody Says:

    Jenclair - I thought this was quite well executed, too. I wonder what the author has in store for her next book.


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.