Melody


St. Martin's Press | 4 April 2023 | 336 pgs
Source: Library 

Gabe and Pippa Gerard, together with their two young daughters, live in a lovely cottage on a cliff in a sleepy coastal town. It's a perfect setting, or so they thought, but they didn't expect that it's also a popular spot for people who want to end their lives. On several occasions, Gabe had coaxed and saved them from ending their lives, thus earning himself a name for his heroic acts within their community. However there's a day that Gabe didn't manage to coax a woman and she fell to her death. The police eventually determined her death as suicide, but Pippa couldn't shake off the feeling that Gabe seems to be hiding some facts and acted strangely on that fateful day. Pippa later learns that Gabe knew that woman; and she begins to wonder about their connection and what if he didn't save her but had pushed her to her death? 

This book was a riveting read and it has many elements aside from the suspense aspect. It gives us more than a glimpse of the intricacy of marriage and relationship, a case of characters study as well as how far one would go in keeping secrets and maintaining a facade. 

The story was told in two POVs between the present and the past; but what makes this such an interesting read is the voice of a deceased character. While this narrative is not common in books, I think it works in this domestic thriller given it a fresh perspective from the others of the same genre. The secondary characters are equally compelling and added depth to the story. The twist towards the end was a great one, though it left me a hollow feeling. Overall it was an engrossing read and I'd recommend this book if you love a good domestic suspense. 
© 2023 Melody's Reading Corner (https://mel-reading-corner.blogspot.sg/), All Rights Reserved. If you are reading this post from other site(s), please take note that this post has been stolen and is used without permission.
6 Responses
  1. Lark Says:

    I'm glad this one turned out to be such a good read! It is interesting that one of the two POVs was that of the character who died.


  2. Melody Says:

    Lark - I enjoyed this book a lot, although the ending was a sad one.


  3. Iliana Says:

    I read one of her earlier books and liked it quite a bit. Also had different POVs and I do like that in thrillers. I'm glad you enjoyed this one and another one for my list!


  4. Melody Says:

    Iliana - I like the different POVs in thrillers too; makes it more in-depth for each narrative. I'll have to check out her other books. :)


  5. I love that cover and am glad this turned out to be a good one!


  6. Melody Says:

    Wendy - I love that cover, too. I'll have to look out for her other books since this was a good read.


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.