Melody
I didn't complete my Goodreads reading challenge in 2023. Only 45 out of 60 books read. Hopefully this year will be a better reading year for me. Also, I want to try to read more of the other genres (such as literary fiction, fantasy and/or romance) aside from suspense and thriller. 

Here's my top ten favourites in no particular order. While some of the books didn't get a 5-star review, they left a deep impression on me.

The One by John Marrs 
The Magistrate by Brian Klingborg 
The Patient's Secret by Loreth Anne White 
The Soulmate by Sally Hepworth 
The Couples Trip by Ulf Kvensler 
Daisy Darker by Alice Feeney 
Check & Mate by Ali Hazelwood 
The Villa by Rachel Hawkins 
I'm Not Done with You Yet by Jesse Q. Sutanto 

Honorable Mention: 
Everything’s Fine by Cecilia Rabess




So, the following question has got nothing to do with the above but simply out of curiosity. Do you mind a sad/bittersweet ending? (Especially in a romance?) Recently I watched a K-drama and while I don't usually get emotionally invested into them, this particular drama really left an impact on me (kept thinking about it for weeks; and listening to the OST didn't make it better). The plot wasn't new but it was realistic, inspiring and dealt with many topics which we often face in society and in real life (maybe that explains the realistic of that sad ending? But still...). The characters were flesh-out and relatable, too, and they were the ones that stood out the most in the story, in particularly the two leading characters. But that ending, sigh, just made me so sad just thinking about it. Dare I say the title and spoil the fun of you watching it? I suppose not. (I think anyone who watched this may have guessed it.) But it was such a good, beautiful story in my opinion (definitely a 5-star!), but I'm not sure if I want to rewatch it at some point and go through that emotional roller coaster again. 
© 2024 Melody's Reading Corner (https://mel-reading-corner.blogspot.sg/), All Rights Reserved. If you are reading this post from other site(s), please take note that this post has been stolen and is used without permission.
12 Responses
  1. The Soulmate is on my 2023 favorites list too. I still think about that ending! Speaking of...yes, I love sad or bittersweet endings. I love it when they leave you emotionally shaken up.


  2. Kay Says:

    Melody, I know that you and I read a lot of similar books, but I've not read any from your list. Many are on my TBR though. Sad or bittersweet endings? I will admit that I am not a huge fan. I know life is like that, but I think I want my fiction to be 'not like' life. However, I also know that I mostly read mysteries and thrillers and my wish there is that justice is served, the bad individuals or crooks get caught and held accountable and the people who are affected by their crimes get closure. That's why I struggle a bit with the unlikable protagonists or ones that are actually the crooks. ;-)


  3. Lark Says:

    The One was so good. I did like that one a lot. And I can't wait to read Check & Mate! Fun list of books. :D


  4. Greg Says:

    I've been really liking Rachel hawkins lately so nice to see her book on your list.


  5. I still need to read The Villa. And now I want to read her newest book. And I really want to read I'm Not Done with You Yet. This is a great list, Melody. Most of these are books I hope to read someday.

    I do not mind sad or bittersweet endings if it is fitting for the story being told. However, if it's romance, I want my happy ending--or at least a happily ever after for now ending.

    I hope you have a good reading year, Melody!


  6. Melody Says:

    Diana - That ending is really something, isn't it? I used to don't mind sad or bittersweet ending in the past. Probably that means my perspective has changed as I'm getting old, LOL.


  7. Melody Says:

    Kay - Yes, I want a positive or a happy ending since life can get a bit too much. And I definitely want to see justice is served in crime and suspense genres.


  8. Melody Says:

    Lark - I hope you'll enjoy reading Check & Mate as much as I did! :D


  9. Melody Says:

    Greg - She has a new book out on 9th January so I'll be sure to add this onto my wishlist.


  10. Melody Says:

    Wendy - I can't wait to read Rachel Hawkins' new book too!

    I definitely want a happy ending in romance. Or at least a hint of hope or chance but not a separation or a breakup. That'll be too sad.

    I hope you've a good reading year too, Wendy! :)


  11. Iliana Says:

    Oh good question on sad/bittersweet endings. I think if I know it's a romance, I prefer that it's not a sad ending. If it's more of a regular drama then I'm ok with it. But overall if the story is done well then I'm ok with that type of ending. Enjoyed seeing your favorites list. I keep seeing Ali Hazelwood's books everywhere and really want to check them out. Happy New Year, Melody!


  12. Melody Says:

    Iliana - I share the same sentiments, Iliana. I hope you'll enjoy reading Ali Hazelwood's books if you get to them. :)


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.