Melody
What can I say? This book is awesome! I really like the way Anne Stuart plots her stories and of course, not to mention her writing style is superb! I have read most of her recent releases, and am looking up her past releases as well. Although I did manage to find a few, sadly her very much earlier ones are really hard to find! I'm hoping her publishers will consider to re-issue those books. Anyway, quit my ramblings and back to the review.

La Casa de Sombras was once a beautiful mansion occupied by the Hollywood movie's elite in the fifties. During that time, there was an uproar of a murder-suicide case. Everyone speculated that movie star, Brenda de Lorillard had killed her director lover Ted Hughes before she took the gun on herself. Although the incident had died down through the years, but the ghosts of Lorillard and Huges still roam about in that mansion.

The heroine, Jilly Meyer, with her two siblings, Rachel-Ann and Dean inherited this mansion from their grandmother. Jackson, their father wants the house to be demolished but couldn't do anything because Jilly wouldn't allow it. A millionaire, Jackson is known to be ruthless and couldn't give a damn about his children except Rachel-Ann, who is his favourite amongst the siblings.

Then enters the hero, Coltrane who works as a right hand man to Jackson. Jackson trusted him and wants him to keep an eye on his children and have them off his back while he deals illegal stuff for his businesses. But Coltrane has other agenda on mind, for he is out to destroy Jackson as he knows Jackson was the murderer who had killed his mother back when they were having an affair at the old mansion. His original plan is to use Rachel-Ann to get back at Jackson, because he knows Jackson cares Rachel-Ann more than her other siblings, but after he meets Jilly, he changes his mind as he finds her attractive and different; moreover he loves a challenge. Later, what seems like an easy plan becomes a tricky situation to him, as he soon finds himself deeply engrossed with the Meyer's family relationships and getting too personal with it.

I am really drawn to this intriguing romance suspense and besides the taut plotting, I also enjoyed reading the two spirits' POVs in the story. Although it was weird reading them at first, but I quickly understand Anne's purpose of doing so and that it makes sense and goes well with the whole story. This is one of Anne Stuart's fine classics in my opinion; and after reading it really makes me want to find her other older releases.
Note: Julia, it is always fun to read Anne Stuart's books with you. Looking forward for more!
10 Responses
  1. Julia Says:

    Great review, Melody! Much better review than mine! :) I'm always glad to read books together with you. It lot of fun!

    I love how the "ghost" tell the story. Normally the "ghost" would have bother me but I soon think that it make more sense to have the "ghost" in the story because they are part of the history of that house. I really enjoy the mystery of this book, it got me hooked. Love Coltrane teasing and Jilly strong personality and sense of humors.

    I love the book and Anne Stuart is must buy for me!


  2. Melody Says:

    Thanks Julia! I think yours is great too! :) I agree it's always fun to read books together. I'm definitely looking forward for more.

    And I agree with you on the 'ghosts', hehe.


  3. Julia Says:

    The next Anne's book we reading together will be the next ICE series LOL!


  4. Melody Says:

    Yep, you bet! LOL.


  5. Julia Says:

    well...you just said you want to read the anthology "The Unfortunate Miss Fortunes" together LOL...


  6. Melody Says:

    Hehe...I haven't bought this book yet! :P


  7. Julia Says:

    Neither have I, but it will be out real soon. Probably at the end of this month...I think. But it doesn't mean we have to read it together right away the minute we got copy LOL..we can wait :)


  8. Melody Says:

    But of course. :)


  9. Alice Says:

    Wei Mel... my eyes are normal. It's confirmed. At first, I tot I was at Julia's but then when I visit your bloggie, I saw the same book. I tot I was seeing double. LOL. Then I look at Julia's. Then yours. Then I read the comments. Then I noticed both of you were reading this together.

    It's FUN reading both you and Julia's reviews and comments!


  10. Melody Says:

    LOL. Alice, you crack me up!
    That's right, Julia & I read this book at the same time. :) We really enjoyed it.


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.