Melody
Booking Through Thursday
Almost everyone can name at least one author that you would love just ONE more book from. Either because they’re dead, not being published any more, not writing more, not producing new work for whatever reason . . . or they’ve aged and aren’t writing to their old standards any more . . . For whatever reason, there just hasn’t been anything new (or worth reading) of theirs and isn’t likely to be.

If you could have just ONE more book from an author you love . . . a book that would be as good any of their best (while we’re dreaming) . . . something that would round out a series, or finish their last work, or just be something NEW . . . Who would the author be, and why? Jane Austen? Shakespeare? Laurie Colwin? Kurt Vonnegut?

Don’t forget to leave a link to your actual response (so people don’t have to go searching for it) in the comments—or if you prefer, leave your answers in the comments themselves!
The first name that flashed into my mind is: Julie Garwood. Oh, how I love her historical romances. There was a time that historical romances is the "IN" genre amongst the romance category, and I was memerized by her titles like Gentle Warrior, Castles, The Prize ... just to name a few. I was hooked by their great story plots and their unforgettable characters.
Then again, Jude Deveraux is my other pick. Like Garwood, her historical romances are equally unforgettable. And it has been some time since I have read any new historical releases by these two authors; it seems like they have turned to writing romance suspense and/or contemporary romance genre. Although I can understand that time has changed and the publishers have to follow the reading trend, I really wish these two great authors will continue to write more historical romances.
14 Responses
  1. Oh, I agree. I"m not a huge historical fan, but have read all of theirs, with several on my "keeper" shelf.


  2. Anonymous Says:

    Good answers. Happy BTT!


  3. Cmate Says:

    What do you work as? You write really good review. Can be a book critic one day eh?


  4. Chris Says:

    Don't you think historical romance is 'back', just under the genre of historical fiction? Just look at Phillipa Gregory. It's real people and events but there is a lot of romance not to mention sex!


  5. Alice Says:

    Great answer, Mel!

    I will not be playing this week's BTT, but will still go and visit friends'. :)


  6. teabird Says:

    Historical fiction in general is a genre I've just begun to appreciate - good answer!

    Mine is here


  7. Darla Says:

    I was obviously in a mystery mood when I answered this--all the authors I mentioned were mystery writers.

    I know a lot of people miss Garwood's historicals. I've only read a few of them, so for me, she's still got plenty left. :)


  8. angeleque Says:

    Great answer.

    Haven't read much historical but the few I've read from Jude Deveraux and Julie Garwood have been remarkable.

    http://flava.wordpress.com/2007/06/07/booking-through-thursday/


  9. Melody Says:

    Hi Marianne & Kristy, thanks for visiting! :)

    Hi Cybermate, thanks for your kind words! I'm in the administrative field, quite boring I can say, so I need something to vent! LOL. But frankly, yeah I love to write. :) Ooh, if possible I'd love to be a book critic one day!

    Hi Chris, I've heard of her name. Haven't pick up her books yet, need to do so soon. Thanks for mentioning her name to me. :)

    Hey Alice, I'm actually hoping you will play this week...but I think this week's topic might be a little tough. :P

    Hi teabird, thanks and happy reading! :)

    Hey Darla, I've missed Agatha Christie until I read your answer! ;)

    Hi angeleque, thanks for stopping by! Oh YES, they are great, aren't they? I really, really wish they will write historicals again. *sigh*


  10. Alice Says:

    Hi Mel, I have decided to play. LOL. I was bugging me yesterday. Alice, you didn't do BTT yesterday. Me and my self-talk. To silence myself, I decided to "just do it"!


  11. Melody Says:

    Hey Alice, that's great! :)


  12. Kat Says:

    Hi Melody! I'm not to happy with Jude Deveraux's recent books either. For some reason, there seems to be something missing in it, but I just can't pinpoint it. I love her historicals too, and the Montgomery-Taggert series. :)

    How about Osamu Tezuka? I'd love to read more of his works, not that I've read them all, but it'll be so cool.


  13. Alice Says:

    Hey Mel, looks like I'm going to have to pass Dark Seduction for the time being. :( I can't find it here... You and Julia please go ahead first, OK? I will join you in other books... :D


  14. Melody Says:

    Hey Alice, I guess we can wait...since Julia and I have decided not to read this book yet. So perhaps we can read together next time...hehe.


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.