Melody


ISBN-13: 9781447263227
Publisher: Macmillan Publishers Ltd 
Publication Date: January 2014
Format: Paperback, 480 pgs
Source: Personal Library 



I read Rainbow Rowell's Eleanor & Park and Attachments and I loved them all. I find her characters especially interesting and engaging and how their stories made me glowed warm in the heart and made me cared for them as if they are flesh and blood human beings instead of fictional characters. Yes, Ms Rowell has this capability of making her characters come alive and in Fangirl it is no exceptional. 

Cath and her twin sister, Wren are both huge fans of Simon Snow series (think of Harry Potter series and you will understand why). Cath and Wren are not only close in blood but they even co-write fanfiction of Simon Snow; this not only shows their passion for the series but it is also another way for them to cope with their life after their mother left them when they were in elementary school. 

As they grow up and enter college, Cath and Wren slowly began to drift apart. Wren is interested in parties and making new friends, while Cath is still absorbed in her world of fanfiction and refuse to explore her new life in college. In other words, she is simply happy being alone with her books and Internet. 

But of course life has its own way around, and Cath slowly find herself getting acquainted with her roommate, Reagan and her ex-boyfriend, Levi. As the days go, Cath finds herself being attracted by Levi but she is clueless when it comes to boy-girl relationship. On the other end, Wren seems to be on a drinking binge and Cath feels she doesn't know her twin sister anymore. To make things worse, Wren seems to be accepting their mother again and this made Cath very upset considering she and Wren had decided to let her go out of their life years ago. Their father has a problem of his own and it gets worse when he is working too hard on his advertising projects. 

Cath knows it is up to her to start living her own life, but it is finding that courage that makes her pause and she is not sure if she can give up writing fanfiction for writing her own stories, even if they are meant for her grades. 

Fangirl is absolutely a story of fanfiction, family and finding love the first time but it is also very much of a coming-of-age story of Cath and her dilemmas between writing fanfiction and writing fiction. What makes this story shine is the love and support Levi gives to Cath and I often find myself rooting for him even though Cath is still thinking twice about their relationship. Levi is simply a like-able character, and many times what he did for Cath (by being there for her and supporting her) just made my heart melt. 

I also enjoyed reading bits of Simon Snow's excerpts and Cath's fanfiction in between the story of Fangirl. They made Fangirl so much more interesting to read and I even wished Rainbow Rowell would write a real story of Simon Snow and not just part of Cath's fantasy. 

As you can tell, I enjoyed reading Fangirl. And yes, you can say I'm a fangirl of Rainbow Rowell (look out for her next release, Landline, to be released in July).
4 Responses
  1. Sandy Nawrot Says:

    I am waiting very anxiously for her next release! I listened to Fangirl on audio, and I just did not want it to end. Loved the characters, loved the writing, love everything that Rowell brings to the table!


  2. I've heard great things about this one! I am glad you liked it, Melody!


  3. The Bookworm Says:

    Hi Mel! I need to read this author, I've heard only good things. This one sounds great.


  4. Melody Says:

    Sandy - Me too! I can't wait!!

    Wendy - I simply enjoyed all her books and I wish she can write faster!

    Naida - I hope you will get to them soon! They're awesome!


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.