Melody

ISBN-13: 9780751547184
Publisher: Sphere
Publication Date: July 2014
Format: Paperback, 496 pgs
Source: Purchased 




Kelley Armstrong has a new series out and in this first book of the series mystery is the main focus of the story. Although her urban fantasy signature is present (Wicca, gargoyles, a few sinister-looking ravens and crows and some folklore here), it doesn't really play a major plot to the story (perhaps at a later stage) though it does add more intrigue to the overall atmospheric setting set in a mystic town in Cainsville, Illinois. 

In Omens, our heroine Olivia Taylor-Jones is a young woman who has everything in her life but all is shattered after learning that she was adopted and her biological parents are notorious serial killers. Though her fiancé, James Morgan, is still willing to marry her at some point; Olivia feels it is better that she finds out the truth of her parents and what had happened at her own pace. Thus, their relationship drifted away while Olivia flees to Cainsville to escape from the media frenzy as well as to find some answers of her past. 

As much as Cainsville and its residents offer Olivia some space to breathe, there are secrets and not to mention some strange occurrences (or signs) lurking around the small town. And this is also where Olivia starts having some premonitions and finds herself reading omens; a special "ability" she found she couldn't explain after moving to Cainsville. And then there is Gabriel Walsh, a lawyer who once represented her biological parents and a man Olivia finds mysterious yet charismatic in his own way. He offers to help Olivia investigate her parents' cases again and though Olivia needs his help, she isn't really sure of what she thinks of him. 

I really enjoyed reading Omens, despite the measured pace in the beginning and that the focus is more on Olivia's search for answers to the murders than anything else. Since this is the first book I think we can expect more developments as the story progresses. The characterisations are intriguing; I liked it that Olivia has backbone and doesn't shun from obstacles. As for Gabriel, like Olivia I still have some doubts about him but I have a feeling my opinions of him might change as the story goes. All in all, it was a good read and I look forward to reading Visions, the next book of this series. 

11 Responses
  1. jenclair Says:

    I really liked Omens, too!


  2. Kay Says:

    Oh, I want to read this series. I have enjoyed one of her YA trilogies so much. I might even already have this book. I need to check. Thanks for reminding me about it, Melody!


  3. Melody Says:

    Yes, I remember you liked Omens and I enjoyed reading your thoughts about the other two installments. I've just begun reading Visions (can't wait) and liking it so far.


  4. Melody Says:

    Kay - I haven't read her YA trilogies but I did enjoy one or two of her Otherworld series. I hope you'll enjoy reading this as much as I did, Kay.


  5. Iliana Says:

    I don't read many urban/paranormal stories but I like the setting and the way you've described this so will have to add this one to my list!


  6. The Bookworm Says:

    Omens sounds like a good one. I like the sound of the paranormal in it.


  7. Melody Says:

    Iliana - I like reading them but I've to say my attention is elsewhere nowadays, like thrillers. Hehe. It's a good thing this series has a mystery setting so it feels like reading one despite the genre. :)


  8. Melody Says:

    Naida - I really enjoyed reading Omens! I'm hoping Visions will be as good or even better. :)


  9. I really want to read this one! I love Kelley Armstrong's books. This sounds like so much fun.


  10. Melody Says:

    Wendy - I think you'll like this series, Wendy. :)


  11. Unknown Says:

    Fans of Kelley Armstrong won't be disappointed with this new venture. Like me, they will be very eager for more books exploring these characters and this world.

    Zia
    I found the best Ford 7.3 Injector


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.