Melody

ISBN-13: 9780751547238
Publisher: Sphere
Publication Date: August 2015
Format: Paperback, 496 pgs
Source: Purchased 



This is the second book of the Cainsville series and the story picks up where it left off from the previous installment, Omens. Olivia Jones have some answers regarding one of the murder cases involving her biological parents, who are known to have murdered four couples, but they aren't enough and she knew she still needs to find out more. 

Together with Gabriel Walsh, her parents' former lawyer, they continue to search for more information and answers. However, this time around Olivia begins to feel the danger as she keeps seeing death omens and when a dead young woman was outfitted to look like her, she knew there must be some connections surrounding the case they are investigating. 

As much as Olivia doesn't want to work with Gabriel for many reasons, she finds herself needing him now more than ever; especially finding out that the discovery of the dead woman's body is really meant as a warning to her. And she still needs to find out if her parents are indeed responsible for committing those horrendous murder crimes which have put them behind bars. As if things aren't complicated enough, Olivia finds herself attracted to 22-year-old Rick Gallagher, son of a biker gang "Satan's Saints". Unlike any other biker members, Rick is taking his MBA part-time at the University of Chicago and figures an MBA might help him run his father's "business" one day. Well they do run a legitimate business amongst many other things, after all. 

Once again, I found myself caught up in this installment. Everything in it seems to have intensified in terms of mystery, intrigue and yes, even passion, as we see Olivia and Rick fall into a relationship and more intimacy as the story progresses. But that is not all, readers also got to know more about Gabriel and why he becomes the person as he is today (I am still not sure of the relationship between Olivia and Gabriel, though, because I still think there are some attraction and chemistry between them even though they have kept it business.) And last but not least, the secrets Cainsville and its residents are hiding and Olivia is set to unveil more of them, considering she is part of this mystic circle. 

This second installment has slightly more urban fantasy/folklore theme as compared to the first and given more answers have come to light here I have a slight feeling where this story will be heading and I can't wait to find out what would happen in the next installment, Deceptions

6 Responses
  1. jenclair Says:

    I've read the first three in this series, but still like the first one best!


  2. Melody Says:

    Jenclair - The first book is great; good layout with a glimpse of what's the story about but I think the second book is where it began to take flight. The only thing I just couldn't understand is Olivia seems to be attracted to Rick very quickly, but I suppose she just wants to break free from what she'd experienced and be herself and do what she wants, for once. However, I still see her with Gabriel, though.


  3. Iliana Says:

    This sounds like a really fun series Melody! I don't read a lot of urban fantasy but I am interested in this author as I keep hearing a lot of good reviews.


  4. Melody Says:

    Iliana - This is indeed a fun series, Iliana! I liked the characters here. I haven't read some of the other series by this author so I need to check them out as well.


  5. I really must track down the first book and read this series. This sounds right up my alley. Olivia sounds like such a great character.


  6. Melody Says:

    Wendy - I hope you'll read this series soon. I've a feeling you'll enjoy them as well. :)


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.