Melody

ISBN-13: 9780727885326
Publisher: Severn House Publishers
Publication Date: November 2015
Format: Hardcover, 224 pgs
Source: Library




Nicole Jones has been living happily in Block Island for the past fifteen years. She enjoys the close-knit community and that everyone seems to know everyone in that small island. Life there may not be as glittery as the mainland, but she knows she would be safe there. After all, Nicole has taken on a new identity and she intends to stay hidden there with no one who knew of her past except herself. 

Aside from staying hidden, Nicole is keeping herself away from computers and the Internet, not because she has no knowledge but on the contrary she is an expert and a computer hacker, too. When someone close from her past reappears in Block Island one day, she knew her new life is coming to an end and she has to face the past no matter she likes it or not. However, that person isn't the only one who is hot on her trails, for it seems there are other people who want her dead and in order to survive, she has to re-hone her computer and hacking skills to escape, even if that means putting herself and her friends in danger. 

I am new to Karen E. Olson's books but I am glad to say I quite enjoyed this intense suspense about a female hacker on the run. Nicole may have made mistakes years ago but she has matured and has become more conscientious than before. As I began to read more about her, the more empathy I felt towards her. This book also led me into thinking of the security of the Internet as well as the web services we so often use today; and that everything could be traced or hacked easily given the skills. 

Hidden is not fully the whodunit type (though it had kept me very curious!) nor a police procedural kind of thriller but instead it focuses more on the complexity of Nicole's double life and how she is dealing with her past which has eventually catches up to her. I'll be checking out her second book in the series, Shadowed,which I believe would be released in June 2016.  

10 Responses
  1. I am glad you enjoyed this one, Melody! I did too. I really came to like Nicole too. I look forward to reading Shadowed when it comes out too.


  2. Kay Says:

    After hearing your experience with HIDDEN and also Wendy's, I'm excited to read this. And will be looking for SHADOWED also. Love getting in on a new series at the very beginning.


  3. Melody Says:

    Wendy - Nicole is quite a character, isn't she? I'm curious to know what's in store for her in the second installment.


  4. Melody Says:

    Kay - It's a great new series and I'm definitely looking forward to reading more of Nicole.


  5. jenclair Says:

    I don't know why I enjoy stories about hackers so much, but I do, and this one sounds good!


  6. FictionFan Says:

    Sounds good - I'm already intrigued to know what she did in her past that she's still running from...


  7. Melody Says:

    Jenclair - It's rare that I come across books with a female computer hacker so yes, I really enjoyed reading this book! :-)


  8. Melody Says:

    FictionFan - It was a great read! Hope the second book will be released quickly!


  9. Iliana Says:

    Great review, Melody! I hope you get a chance to check out some other Karen E. Olson series. I've read her two others and those were great. The main characters weren't detectives either but featured strong and intelligent women. Really liked them. Now, I need to read this one!


  10. I'm glad you enjoyed it! A female hacker is unique, and I'm curious about why she's hiding. Great review!


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.