Melody

Tom Doherty Associates | March 2017 | 352 pgs
Source: Library


Mia Haas left her hometown in Wayoata to begin a new life in Chicago. The idea of going back home has never crossed her mind until she received a phone call from Wayoata Police Chief, John Pruden. For a moment, Mia thought something has happened to her mother. She used to be an alcoholic and an accident had caused some trauma to her head. She is now living at a care home. But no, the call isn't about her but Lucas, who is Mia's twin brother. 

Lucas, who is a popular high school teacher, becomes a person of interest in a murder investigation of a sixteen-year-old girl named Joanna Wilkes. Joanna was one of Lucas's students, and there are rumours that they were romantically linked. Pruden's purpose of calling is to ask Mia to return to Wayoata to help them with their investigation, considering that Lucas couldn't be found and hopefully Lucas would turn himself in after "hearing" Mia's appeal. But of course Mia wouldn't do that; for she believes Lucas is the last person to have harmed an animal, let alone a person who is his student. Mia returns to Wayoata to unravel the truth herself, and soon finds out that things aren't as easy as she has thought; and on top of it she doesn't know who to trust given some bad blood with one or two residents and that she has lost the rapport with the Wayoata residents given she has been away for such a long while. Nevertheless, she is eager to find another suspect to prove Lucas's innocence but at times she wonders if Lucas is indeed guilty; after all why did he disappear if he is innocent? 

Follow Me Down was quite an addictive read surrounding Mia's quest in searching the truth and while it has an intriguing beginning, the middle tends to drag a bit and I found myself struggling to get through it as Mia "reunites" with the residents, get herself involved with her old guidance counsellor and a few other stuff alongside with her own investigation. I skimmed through bits of the book and continued with my reading earnestly when the momentum picked up once again. Despite the little hiccups I'd had with the book, I was curious to know what happened and I was glad I enjoyed it ultimately.


© 2017 Melody's Reading Corner (https://mel-reading-corner.blogspot.sg/), All Rights Reserved. If you are reading this post from other site(s), please take note that this post has been stolen and is used without permission.
8 Responses
  1. jenclair Says:

    Sounds interesting, and I haven't read anything by this author. A shame the middle dragged, but I often enjoy books despite their flaws. :)


  2. Lark Says:

    Books are never perfect, are they? Lately, I find myself skimming more often than I should, especially when the narrative starts to drag a bit. I think I'm getting more impatient the older I get. And I'm not that old! :D


  3. Melody Says:

    Jenclair - I'm glad I persist. Some books drag in the middle and usually I'll give it another few chapters and if the drag continues I'll simply give it up.


  4. Melody Says:

    Lark - No, sadly they aren't. I don't mind a bit of dragging if some descriptions or added information to be told but to fill in the story with unnecessary stuff simply frustrate me. That said, I'm glad this book took a turn towards the end. :)


  5. Iliana Says:

    I don't think I'd heard of this one before. Glad it was still good read for you despite the struggles with some of it!


  6. Melody Says:

    Iliana - Sometimes it's a good thing to persist, isn't it? You just don't know what is in store for you in the end. ;)


  7. That's too bad about the dragging in the middle, but this does sound like a compelling read. I am glad you enjoyed it in the end. It does sound like an interesting premise!


  8. Melody Says:

    Wendy - It was a compelling read but I just wished the middle part was written in a more engaging way but well perhaps that's just me.


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.