Melody

Mira | September 2016 | 288 pgs
Source: Library



Once again, I've the pleasure of having Lark as my reading buddy and this time around she had chosen Only Daughter by Anna Snoekstra, who is an Australian author. This is a story about two different young women; one disappeared while the other is an impostor. 

In 2003, sixteen-year-old Rebecca Winter disappeared on her way home from work. On the surface, Rebecca seemed like any other ordinary girl who enjoyed life; she'd been having a good summer break with her best friend, Lizzie, and crushing on an older boy at work. Then before her disappearance, she has a feeling of being watched and that she could feel a presence in her room at night. No one knew what happened although Lizzie claimed Bec was not being herself before her disappearance. The case remains unsolved. 

Eleven years later, a young woman took over Rebecca Winter's identity after she was caught shoplifting and in desperation claimed to be the missing Bec. The impostor bore some resemblance to the missing Bec so no one suspected anything and soon she is living the real Bec's life. The impostor has nothing to lose as she has an unhappy life and didn't feel loved by her family. However, her new life is short-lived as soon she notices that her welcoming family and friends aren't quite as they seem and most of all, whoever took Rebecca Winter is still at large. What really happened to the real Bec and what would the impostor do under this circumstances?

Only Daughter is one of those suspense novels that leave you entirely clueless and curious from the beginning and you couldn't help but to keep reading until that final page. This story is told from two POVs alternatively - 16-year-old Rebecca Winter before her disappearance in third person narrative and the impostor in present time in first person narrative. Both characters are intriguing in her own way and while I felt sorry for the impostor's life and that she has to resort to impersonation to have a new life, it is the real Rebecca who I was really interested in from the beginning. She is a bit mysterious and most of all I felt something is off with her parents but yet I couldn't put my finger on what really bothered me. While I felt some parts seemed a bit far-fetched, still it has that foreboding feel and will keep the reader riveted until that very last page. Overall it was a suspenseful read though I felt some parts need more developments. 

And finally, here are my answers to Lark's questions related to the book: 

1. What did you think of the ending, and did you see it coming? (Because I didn't!)

I certainly didn't see that ending coming! It was a good twist, but I've some questions on the motive and didn't fully understand why but that said, it was a very suspenseful thriller. My curiosity towards the two Rebeccas was what drove me flipping the pages quickly! 

2. Between the real Bec and her impostor, which character did you end up liking better?  

Hmm. That was a good question and one which is difficult to answer without giving much thought. Honestly, I sympathised with both of them; each girl faced some difficulties in her life but most of all, it seemed the impostor suffered the most because of what she's been through with her family whom she felt unloved by them. As for the real Bec, she may seemed to have everything in life but she lacked emotional happiness. I think both girls have their strength and flaws and it is difficult for me to pick a favourite character. 

Now go visit Lark's blog to read her thoughts and my questions to her relating this book! 


© 2017 Melody's Reading Corner (https://mel-reading-corner.blogspot.sg/), All Rights Reserved. If you are reading this post from other site(s), please take note that this post has been stolen and is used without permission.
10 Responses
  1. This sounds like such an interesting premise. I am glad you enjoyed this one, Melody. I like it when you and Lark read together. It's nice to have both of your perspectives.


  2. Jenny Says:

    Jumped over from Lark's blog. I was just saying I haven't heard of this one and I'm definitely going to need to read it. Especially because I think Australian authors write beautifully.


  3. Melody Says:

    Wendy - The premise was interesting, especially with the impostor aspect. Buddy reads are always fun and I enjoy it a lot! :)


  4. Melody Says:

    Jenny - It was a suspenseful read and I enjoyed it; all the more reading it with Lark. Thanks for visiting, Jenny! :)


  5. jenclair Says:

    I've enjoyed both your review and Lark's! Impostors are always interesting!


  6. Lark Says:

    Great review, Melody! You explain this book so much better than I did. Glad we got the chance to read it together. :D


  7. Melody Says:

    Jenclair - Yes, there's something intriguing about impostors, isn't it?


  8. Melody Says:

    Lark - I'm glad we read this book together. It's always fun comparing notes isn't it? :)


  9. Iliana Says:

    This sounds like a good one! Going over to Lark's blog to check out her answers. So fun you guys got to do this again.


  10. Melody Says:

    Iliana - It was a suspenseful read. And all the better reading it with another blogger friend. :)


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.