Melody
Simon & Schuster UK | April 2018 | 448 pgs
Source: Library



This book is possibly the most unforgettable book I read thus far - a well structured storyline, great characters development and a complicated, multi-layered plot to boot. Thrown in some secrets, deceits, frauds and two murders and you have the story of Our House

Fiona and Bram Lawson is an ordinary couple living in a suburban neighbourhood at Trinity Avenue with their two young sons. Fi and Bram have owned their home there for years and have no intention of selling. Until one day Fi comes home to find a family moving into their house and Bram couldn't be reached. Thinking it is all a mistake, Fi tries to reason with the family who has claimed ownership of their house but with transactions evidence and solicitors statements, there is no way such a drastic mistake could be made, right? And where is Bram when she needs him most?

Bram has broken Fi's trust by committing an affair. Although they are still legally married, they are actually separated and have set up a co-parenting plan they called "the bird's nest" custody arrangement. Each of them rotates to see and care for their sons, and they maintain their shares to keep the family up and running. Unlike other separated couples, they still talk amicably and no one would have noticed their "unusual" marital status from afar. Why Bram left Fi in a ditch is a mystery, and this is what the core story is all about and all the truths will be laid bare through Fi's story told in a podcast interview and Bram's through a written document (as a confession in the end). And this is all I can say about it because you have to read their account and let me say it is quite a journey; both for the Lawsons couple and for you as a reader. If you think you have read enough domestic suspense to guess everything, this might be a book to challenge what you have read of this genre because the plot is multi-layered and oh that ending just left me feeling dumbstruck. Go read this book and let me know what you think about it. 



© 2018 Melody's Reading Corner (https://mel-reading-corner.blogspot.sg/), All Rights Reserved. If you are reading this post from other site(s), please take note that this post has been stolen and is used without permission.
12 Responses
  1. Kay Says:

    Melody, you have definitely piqued my interest. Sort of a challenge, right? This book has already been on my TBR, but I think it will be moved up to next. Then we'll see if I can figure it out. I love the puzzle best, you know? LOL


  2. jenclair Says:

    OK, you have my interest as well! A pod cast interview and a written document to give the two separate accounts makes me doubly curious!


  3. Jenny Says:

    Sounds very interesting. Did you end up liking it or just liking the mystery?


  4. Lark Says:

    Poor Fi! I don't know what I'd do if I came home one day and found strangers moving into my house.


  5. Iliana Says:

    I've read some great reviews of on this book and glad to hear you are also giving it 5 stars! I can't wait to read this one.


  6. Melody Says:

    Kay - The plot is rather refreshing to me given many of the domestic suspense I read thus far so yeah, I was wowed by it. I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it, Kay.


  7. Melody Says:

    Jenclair - The plot itself is intriguing enough; and with the pod cast and written document they sure made this story more intriguing.


  8. Melody Says:

    Jenny - It was a good read; intense and intriguing. A deep sense of foreboding, too. I liked it as a whole; the writing style and the plot as well but not really the characters.


  9. Melody Says:

    Lark - Yes, it'd be a shock to see strangers moving into your house, isn't it? Such a scary thought just thinking about it.


  10. Melody Says:

    Iliana - I hope you'll enjoy reading this book if you get to it, Iliana. I'll be curious of your thoughts. :)


  11. I am so glad to hear it! I have this one in my TBR pile and now and excited to get to it. Thank you for your great review, Melody.


  12. Melody Says:

    Wendy - I hope you'll enjoy reading it, Wendy.


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.