Melody
Picador | April 2018 | 320 pgs
Source: Library



This story is set in London during the 1940s where the country is at war with the Germans. However, this is only the backdrop while the book is basically centering on the life of the Londoners during this difficult times and of course, our lead protagonist, Emmeline Lake and the interactions with a few of her friends and colleagues.  

All the while, Emmy has this dream of being a Lady War Correspondent. When she saw an ad placed in a newspaper looking for a Junior at The London Evening Chronicle, she put off everything and jumped at the chance. Well, Emmy is offered the position but in the haste and excitement during the interview she had failed to find out about her duties. So while Woman's Friend magazine is part of TLEC, what her duties are are far from being a journalist, let alone a War Correspondent. One of the magazine features is the 'Henrietta Bird Helps' column and basically her job is to go through the mails sent out by the readers and sort them out for Mrs Bird, Woman's Friend Advice Writer and Acting Editress, to reply. However, Mrs Bird has a list of 'Unpleasantness' topics she wouldn't entertain and this put Emmy in a difficult position because most mails she receive are about love, relationships and the likes. Mrs Bird is very clear about receiving such mails and off they go into the bin. 

Emmy, on the other hand, feels heartbroken for these women who must have gone through such difficult situations to send in their desperate pleas and she hates to disappoint and let their hopes down. Thus, she replies to these letters secretly under Mrs Bird's name and from then onwards there is no turning back for Emmy. 

Dear Mrs Bird was a delightful read; it was funny, uplifting and sad at the same time. It is also a story about love, friendship, courage and pursuing one's dream. Although this isn't entirely a war story, Ms Pearce has managed to capture the tense atmosphere and makes the reader feels for the characters and how it was like living in a wartime period and yet not giving up hope like Emmy and her friends. A lovely debut and I'll be sure to look out for this author's future releases.  


© 2018 Melody's Reading Corner (https://mel-reading-corner.blogspot.sg/), All Rights Reserved. If you are reading this post from other site(s), please take note that this post has been stolen and is used without permission.
8 Responses
  1. jenclair Says:

    I requested this one a while back and have not heard yet if NetGalley will be accommodating. If not, then I guess I'll have to check my library. I was hooked by the description, and I'm so glad to know you enjoyed it!


  2. Jenny Says:

    I love stories like this. I’ll have to check it out.


  3. Lark Says:

    I LOVE the sound of this one! Must get a copy of it asap. :D


  4. Melody Says:

    Jenclair - I was intrigued by Emmy as a character and I love her positive thoughts. I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did.


  5. Melody Says:

    Jenny - Yep, me too. Hope you'll like it.


  6. Melody Says:

    Lark - I'm glad to hear you'll be checking this out, too. :)


  7. I hadn't heard of this one before. I love the sound of it though. London and World War II. A female journalist. I am glad you ended up liking this one! I think I would too.


  8. Melody Says:

    Wendy - I'll be curious of your thoughts if you do read it, Wendy.


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.