Melody
I'd finished watching these two legal dramas a while back but just haven't got around to writing the reviews. I skipped my usual writing style and did a bullet point format this time round so without further ado, here it is. 

Lawless Lawyer (无法律师)
Synopsis (extracted from KoreanDrama.org)
A former gangster turned lawyer uses both his fists and the loopholes in law to fight against those with absolute power. He is driven by the desire to avenge his mother.
Bong Sang Pil (Lee Joon Ki) is a former gang member, but he now works as a lawyer. He also has one of the top win rates as a lawyer. Bong Sang Pil will take advantage of loopholes in the law. He stands before the court for his mother’s revenge, opposing absolute power.

Likes:

  • An action, legal drama with a dose of romance in one package.
  • Likeable lead characters whom had me rooting for.
  • Kick-ass heroine who was not afraid of challenges and not submitting to power and wealth.
  • Hero who was protective of the heroine, even if it means putting his life on the line. 

Dislikes:

  • Bad villains everywhere.
  • A prominent judge who took advantage of her position to do all evil things to get her to a higher place, even if it means eliminating her minions along the way.

My thoughts:

I enjoyed watching this drama, even if some scenarios seem to be over the top and implausible at times. But it was overall very entertaining, not to mention satisfying seeing that the murderers were brought to justice in the end. Lee Joon Ki's fighting scenes were another factor which drew me to this drama. He has a kind of charisma in him no matter if he's acting in a modern or a historical drama. His role as a vampire in The Scholar Who Walks the Night has left a deep impression in me. I wonder what role he'll play for his next drama.

(4 stars)



Suits (金装律师)
Synopsis (extracted from AsianWiki)
Choi Kang-Seok (Jang Dong-Gun) is the best lawyer at prestigious Kang & Ham Law Firm. He is promoted to a senior partner.
Go Yeon-Woo (Park Hyung-Sik) has a photographic memory and excellent comprehension skills. He dreamed of becoming a lawyer, but due to his poor background he currently works as a parking valet. To pay for his grandmother's hospital bill, he takes a job to deliver drugs to a hotel room. While in front of the hotel room, Go Yeon-Woo realizes that he is going into a trap. Go Yeon-Woo is then chased by the cops, but he gets into the secretary's office for Lawyer Choi Kang-Seok. At that time, a group of people are waiting to take interviews with Choi Kang-Seok. He is going to select a rookie lawyer for the law firm after conducting the interviews. Go Yeon-Woo is then admitted into Choi Kang-Seok's office. Choi Kang-Seok senses that Go Yeon-Woo is not the applicant they called in for the interview, but he is impressed with Go Yeon-Woo's intelligence & memory. Choi Kang-Seok decides to hire Go Yeon-Woo as a rookie lawyer even though he does not have a license to practice law. Choi Kang-Seok's decision could even place his own career in jeopardy.

Likes:

  • Engaging plot and two charismatic lead characters.
  • The bromance (as well as the mentor and mentee relationship) between Kang-Seok and Yeon-Woo.
  • A few heartwarming scenes that portray the other side of Kang-Seok. He was not cold-hearted and ruthless as I'd first thought.
  • Yeon-Woo hard at work at solving the cases even though he was a rookie and had no legal experience. That shows one's attitude and determination are essential on top of a paper qualification.

Dislikes:

Hmm... I can't think of anything that bugged me as of writing this. That means it's a good thing, right?

My thoughts:

I understand this drama is based on the American television series of the same name by Aaron Korsh. Although I'd not watched the American version, it has piqued my interest after watching the Korean version. 

Onto the topic, I thought it has a great premise and it was inspiring in a way. I was captivated by Dong-Gun and Hyung-Sik's acting skills and thought they had a great onscreen rapport (offscreen too?) with each other. Initially I wasn't too keen with the beginning part as I thought it was slow paced but not giving it up I continued watching it as I hate that half-accomplished feeling (the same goes with books unless they are really bad) and as I kept watching the plot became more interesting and while solving of cases is a must for legal dramas, basically this story revolves around Yeon-Woo's life journey and his working relationship with Kang-Seok. I enjoyed the banter between them; and I thought there are heartwarming moments as well amid the cold atmosphere of the court rooms and the likes.

(4 stars)


© 2018 Melody's Reading Corner (https://mel-reading-corner.blogspot.sg/), All Rights Reserved. If you are reading this post from other site(s), please take note that this post has been stolen and is used without permission.
4 Responses
  1. Jenny Says:

    I’ve seen the American Suits and enjoyed it. I bet this one is good too.


  2. jenclair Says:

    I watched a couple of seasons of the American version and enjoyed them. I'll add this Korean version to my list. :)


  3. Melody Says:

    Jenny - This was good. I wonder how the American version will be like.


  4. Melody Says:

    Jenclair - Seems like the American version was good. Glad you're adding this onto your list. :)


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.