Melody
Penguin | May 2015 | 512 pgs 
Source: Library 



I enjoyed Louise Candlish's latest book, Our House, so much so that I decided to check out her backlist and this is one of the titles released in 2015. 

Christy and Joe Davenport couldn't believe their luck when they found themselves as the new owner of a luxurious house situated in a suburb neighbourhood at Lime Park Road. Bought it at a much lower price with full furnishing, the Davenports did wonder about their predecessor's haste in selling the house. After all, they renovated the entire property yet moved out within a year. However, the thought of moving into a bigger place has replaced that little unsettling thought, and Christy is ready to get settled down but she has noticed that none of the neighbours are willing to talk with her. 

Eager to break the ice and hopefully to dig some info about the previous owners, Christy found herself being brushed off by the neighbours when she tried to invite them to her house as a get-together. Christy also noticed that they are reluctant to talk about Jeremy and Amber Fraser, the previous owners, and most of all, she is intrigued by the mysterious Rob Whalen who is just living next to her. Their silence surrounding the Frasers and Rob arouse her curiosity and she is set to unravel this mystery and what had made the Frasers depart so suddenly. But what she didn't realise is what she is doing will open up a whole new can of worms. 

I enjoyed this book but not as much as Our House. Although both books have a house as the setting, the concept is entirely different and while Our House is very much a plot-driven thriller, this one was more on the perceptions of the characters, in particularly Amber and Christy. The reader see things through their perspectives between the past and the present and this builds the intensity as the story slowly unfolds. However, the "secret" was a bit of a let down as I felt it was too ordinary (more so on the way the said characters handled that particular secret which snow-balled into a huge mess which was unnecessarily) but the ride was compelling and held my attention throughout, thus a 4-stars rating. 


© 2018 Melody's Reading Corner (https://mel-reading-corner.blogspot.sg/), All Rights Reserved. If you are reading this post from other site(s), please take note that this post has been stolen and is used without permission.
10 Responses
  1. Jenny Says:

    I’ve been waiting to get my hands on Our House. I should read her older ones.


  2. Melody Says:

    Jenny - Hope you'll enjoy "Our House" when you get to it. I've the library copy, "The Swimming Pool", so I'm looking forward to reading that one.


  3. Kay Says:

    Melody, I think I read somewhere that this author has turned her writing more to the thriller end of things - like in OUR HOUSE. Her earlier ones may not reflect that as much. I've been wanting to try them too though. Good to know what you thought about this one.


  4. jenclair Says:

    Sorry this one wasn't as enjoyable, but it is always interesting to see changes in an author's style and content. :)


  5. I am glad you enjoyed this one, Melody, even if the ending was a bit of a letdown. I am curious about this one.


  6. Melody Says:

    Kay - I'm glad to hear the author has turned her writing more towards the thrillers genre. I've noticed a few authors who wrote other genres have turned to writing suspense, too. All the merrier for us readers. :)


  7. Melody Says:

    Jenclair - I enjoyed it but I felt the secret was a letdown. Yes, it's always interesting to see changes in an author's style and content. :)


  8. Melody Says:

    Wendy - I guess I'd been expecting too much, considering how much I enjoyed "Our House". That said, it was still an enjoyable read.


  9. Lark Says:

    At least it was good enough for 4-stars, even with the less-than-stellar secret at the end. :)


  10. Melody Says:

    Lark - Indeed. :)


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.