Melody
St. Martin's Press | July 2018 | 320 pgs
Source: Library



Let me start off this post by saying that this isn't a book for everyone. So what is this story about? In a nutshell, it's about the love-hate relationship between a mother and her seven-year-old daughter. 

When Suzette was young, she suffered from Crohn's disease and it left an emotional scar on her. She didn't get much love from her mother and this has made her to be a stronger person. She didn't think she'd find love again until she met Alex, now her husband, and she knew that she could live a new life again. However, little Hanna coming to the world seems to have change her equilibrium. Hanna doesn't speak and this worries the Jensens couple. Hanna has gone to many doctor consultations and it seems she is physically healthy. Whether she is picking up slowly or if it is more of a mental issue (there are times she adopts an alter ego of a dead young girl who was wrongly put to death back in the olden days as they believed she was a witch), the Jensens think that homeschooling her is the best option while seeking help through a psychologist. 

Hanna, on the other end, has other plans. Despite her age, she is actually an intelligent girl. She doesn't like mommy and her world only revolves around daddy. She would put on her best act around daddy and leave her ugly behaviours only for mommy. But her acts become more and more malicious until Suzette begins to wonder if Hanna intends to kill her. 

Based on Suzette's and Hanna's viewpoints, Baby Teeth was one compelling thriller on many levels. The characterisations and the subject involving a manipulative young girl are enough to creep anyone out but I've my doubts. For starters, I was skeptical about Hanna's intentions because she feels so young to me to have that kind of evil thoughts. I think it'd be more believable if she is a bit older; like a troubled teenager filled with angst. Secondly, given Hanna's behaviours and Alex's doubts, I'd feel that installing a CCTV (or a phone video recording of Hanna's behaviours) would be a logical way to put things to light but instead it became more of a melodramatic domestic thriller as the story progresses. However, I've to give credit to the author's creativity of writing this dysfunctional family from a new perspective. Based on the reviews at Goodreads, there is a balance between readers who love it or hate it and I've to say I'm in between since the writing was good and the story engaging but only if it is more plausible and that Hanna is much older. 



© 2018 Melody's Reading Corner (https://mel-reading-corner.blogspot.sg/), All Rights Reserved. If you are reading this post from other site(s), please take note that this post has been stolen and is used without permission.
12 Responses
  1. Iliana Says:

    So true - from all the readers reviews I've read of this one it seems it's either love or hate. I want to check it out just because it does seem a bit different from the typical thrillers but we'll see.


  2. Jenny Says:

    It definitely had holes but I couldn’t stop reading. I’ll look forward to more from the author.


  3. Melody Says:

    Iliana - Yes, it does seem different from the other thrillers and this is one reason I knew I've to read it. Plus, I'm curious of the mixed reviews initially so I want to know what's the deal about. :D


  4. Melody Says:

    Jenny - It's engaging, isn't it? I'm curious what the author has in store next.


  5. Verushka Says:

    Genuinely, just reading the blurb makes me conflicted -- on the one hand, I feel like it's so implausible for kid to be like this, but on the other, I am curious to see how the author pulls it off.


  6. Melody Says:

    Verushka - I think it'd be more believable if it's a teenager instead of a child. On top of it, I'd like to think of our children being innocent instead of a monster. :)


  7. jenclair Says:

    Oooh, another Bad Seed story. I don't know if I'd like it, but I'm certainly intrigued.


  8. Melody Says:

    Jenclair - I rarely come across a Bad Seed story. Probably this explains why I wasn't used to a young character being bad.


  9. Lark Says:

    I can see why Hanna's young age and her apparent "evilness" bothers you. It would bother me, too. But maybe that's what makes this book so disturbing...and compelling.


  10. Melody Says:

    Lark - Yes, that explains it. :)


  11. I can see why this book would be either love or hate. I haven't yet read it, but it sounds intense! The description of this reminds me a bit of that old movie Bad Seed.


  12. Melody Says:

    Wendy - I haven't watched Bad Seed. Now I'm curious about it.


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.