Melody
Mulholland Books | June 2018 | 352 pgs
Source: Library



Marcus and Tessa Nicholson, together with their three-year-old son, Josh, are happily vacationing in Greece when a moment of inattention almost ruined a life. Tessa has gone to make a phone call while Marcus has dozed off at the beach while watching Josh. Fortunately, a Dave Jepsom has jumped into the water in time to save their son. The Nicholsons are thankful for his heroic act and treated him for lunch. But it seems Dave has wanted more - he wants to be a part of their life and as the days go, Marcus and Tessa begin to see more of him; either stalking them or invited himself into their life like they are close friends. 

For a while, the Nicholsons think Dave's attachment to them is harmless; after all he'd saved their son and he probably feels an affection for him. But his behaviours start to worry them, especially if Marcus and Tessa have a secret of their own and they begin to wonder if Dave is a threat to the secrets they are holding as both of them have a feeling that he is watching their movements. The tension begins to reach to a breaking point when they find their house being ransacked and vandalised one day, and of course their minds are on Dave. Is Dave their saviour or their stalker? And to what extent would the Nicholsons do to safeguard their secrets? 

Take Me In was an engrossing read right from the beginning and is narrated by Marcus and Tessa alternatively. While the story has a setup of a psychological thriller, the second half read more like a domestic drama as we learn about the family dynamic and the secrets the Nicholsons are keeping from each other. Dave felt more like a smokescreen because we don't really know what his motives are until the end, which I think is the intention. Truth be told, he is the main purpose which keep me reading as I find the Nicholsons to be selfish and annoying. But I think what bothered me most is the ending, for I couldn't understand the logic behind the revelation as it seemed rushed and appear out of nowhere, which was a pity since the first half was brilliant and well written. That said, I want to read her previous book, Lie With Me, which I understand has received many good reviews. 


© 2018 Melody's Reading Corner (https://mel-reading-corner.blogspot.sg/), All Rights Reserved. If you are reading this post from other site(s), please take note that this post has been stolen and is used without permission.
14 Responses
  1. Verushka Says:

    I'm sorry the ending wasn't quite as good as the beginning -- it does sound pretty intense though!


  2. Melody Says:

    Verushka - I've to confess I liked the idea of this story, but the execution wasn't what I'd expected. Oh well. I'm sure there are other readers who'll appreciate this more than me. :)


  3. The Bookworm Says:

    The premise of Take Me In sounds intriguing, it's too bad about the ending being rushed and confusing. Thanks for your honest thoughts!


  4. Jenny Says:

    These thrillers always keeo me reading but they sure do have some rather despicable characters. And then when the endings are just too far fetched or out there I can’t get behind them. Doesn’t stop me from reading them though. Lol!


  5. Iliana Says:

    Oh this sounds like it had such good potential.. that's too bad about the ending. Still, you've got me interested in this one! The set up sounds a bit different from a lot of the thrillers/domestic dramas that we've seen recently.


  6. Melody Says:

    Naida - The ending kind of ruined it for me. Sigh. That said, the writing was captivating and I'm definitely going to read her other books.


  7. Melody Says:

    Jenny - I know I can't resist reading these psychological thrillers no matter how they end. It's the (intense) journey that keep me going. :)


  8. Melody Says:

    Iliana - I'll be curious of your thoughts if you do read it, Iliana. Yes, the set up does seems a bit different from the others and this is one reason I picked it up. :)


  9. Lark Says:

    So if I decide to read this author maybe I should start with Lie With Me instead of with this one?


  10. That's too bad the ending didn't live up to the first half of the novel. I think I may have the author's other book Lie With Me on my wish list. Hopefully that will be better.


  11. Melody Says:

    Lark - Yes, absolutely. ;)


  12. Melody Says:

    Wendy - I'm looking forward to reading Lie With Me and I hope you'll enjoy it if you get to it, Wendy.


  13. jenclair Says:

    It is so disappointing to have a good book spoiled by the ending!


  14. Melody Says:

    Jenclair - Indeed. Still, I'd like to try her previous books as I've heard some of them are quite good.


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.