Melody
William Morrow | March 2019 | 320 pgs
Source: Publisher via Edelweiss



I've enjoyed most of Peter Swanson's books so far and when I knew he has a new book out, I know I've to read it. 

Henrietta (Hen) and her husband, Lloyd, have moved into a new house outside of Boston where they could enjoy a quiet life and their workplace being nearby. Hen is an illustrator for children's books and although she suffers from bipolar disorder and depression, her condition is well controlled with medication. Life is good to Hen and Lloyd until they met their new neighbour, Matthew and Mira Dolamore. 

Hen is happy to know her neighbour but that feeling quickly changes after she spotted a fencing trophy in Matthew's office. Two years ago a young man named Dustin Miller was murdered and a fencing trophy was found missing in his house. It is no wonder Hen is suspicious because she thought the trophy in Matthew's office looks similar to Dustin's. On top of it, Matthew teaches at Sussex Hall and that's where Dustin went to high school. Hen has been following the news of Dustin's murder since then despite there isn't any answer or resolution to the case so when she sees the trophy it sets the obsession in her once again. And so this begins her task in observing and trailing Matthew until one night what she did has caught Matthew's attention. Could Matthew be the killer, or is it Hen's sickness acting up again? After all, she'd hurt someone back during her college days to prove the other was guilty and does this mean this is another one of her psychotic episodes? 

Reading this book was like riding a roller coaster; I could never anticipate when the next twist would be until it hit you off guard. One of the author's strengths is his characterisations are usually fleshed out and the way the story is executed; allowing the reader to be fully invested into the story even though you've some doubts about the direction it is leading you on. The foreboding atmosphere of this story was intensive but alas, I wasn't pleased with the outcome. For this I blamed it on my own expectation and that the direction I'd in mind differ from what it is of the story. Nevertheless I'd an enjoyable reading experience and I'd still recommend this to anyone who love a suspenseful read. 

© 2019 Melody's Reading Corner (https://mel-reading-corner.blogspot.sg/), All Rights Reserved. If you are reading this post from other site(s), please take note that this post has been stolen and is used without permission.
8 Responses
  1. Kay Says:

    Hmmm...I've been waiting on this one. Like you, I've really enjoyed other books by this author. Interesting premise here. I'll likely try it when it comes out and see what I think.


  2. Melody Says:

    Kay - It has an intriguing premise but I thought the outcome was a little disappointing, at least to me, though.


  3. Iliana Says:

    Oh no, I hate it when I have it all figured out and it goes in a different direction. I don't mind not guessing the killer but it's when it just feels like a bait & switch sort of thing that it bothers me. I'm glad though that the suspense is top-notch so I'll be looking for this one!


  4. jenclair Says:

    I just recently read another review of this one, now I'm a bit less enthusiastic.


  5. Lark Says:

    Sounds like this one isn't Swanson's best. That's too bad. At least it wasn't a total disappointment.


  6. Melody Says:

    Iliana - It has a great premise but honestly I was disappointed that the end had gone into that direction (perhaps it's only me but I felt it has been used before. Oh well.)


  7. Melody Says:

    Jenclair - I think there're some mixed reviews on Goodreads but most enjoyed it. I enjoyed the suspense but was disappointed with the ending.


  8. Melody Says:

    Lark - His other book, The Kind Worth Killing, remains my favourite so far. I hope his next book will beat that book. :)


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.