Melody
Sphere | June 2018 | 384 pgs
Source: Library


Three Little Lies, in a nutshell, is a story between three friends, secrets and deceptions and how the past caught up to them.

Ten years ago, Ellen and Karina were best friends. Their life revolved around nothing but school and gossips, until the Monktons moved into their neighbourhood. The two girls were fascinated by their bohemian lifestyle, but most of all they were fascinated by the two boys, Daniel and Nicholas, as well as Sasha, the girl who looked about their age. The three girls became friends later, and were often invited to the Monktons' for parties. Karina had a crush on the older boy, Daniel; although the girls knew it would be nothing more than just friends. Until something happened on a fateful night that it not only tear Karina's life apart but Daniel's as well.

In present time 2017, Ellen and Sasha are working adults and they share an apartment together. They've lost touch with Karina and Daniel became a past. When Sasha has gone missing without a trace, Ellen fears the worst. Is her disappearance got to do with that fateful night so many years ago? Worst still, the police won't take Ellen's words seriously as they thought Sasha's disappearance is nothing more than a decision considering Sasha has a past of disappearing without a word. But Ellen knew Sasha and believes this is something out of the norm; but as she digs further she couldn't help but to think of the memories that held them together ten years ago. What's with the Monktons all those time and why would Sasha disappear without a trace?

I've heard that the author's first book, Friend Request, has received some good reviews and although I haven't read that book, I decided to try with this latest book of hers since it was available at the library. Perhaps I'd jumped into this with a high expectation, but I wasn't swept away by the story. The author's writing was good though, and together with the fast pacing I was able to tear through the book easily. I think the focus was much on the character developments and although this isn't the issue, I couldn't fathom the decisions made by some characters and thought things would've been different if they all aren't being swayed by reckless emotions. The twist wasn't too hard to guess, but that's probably because the suspect involved only a few people. Despite my lukewarm reaction to this, I'm still curious with Friend Request so I'll read it at some point.

© 2019 Melody's Reading Corner (https://mel-reading-corner.blogspot.sg/), All Rights Reserved. If you are reading this post from other site(s), please take note that this post has been stolen and is used without permission.
10 Responses
  1. jenclair Says:

    I read Friend Request in 2017, and I felt much the same as you do about this one, especially with the recklessly bad decisions. The characters didn't appeal to me either, and I couldn't muster much sympathy for them. I'll give this one a miss--even though it has an interesting premise.


  2. Kay Says:

    I think I might have FRIEND REQUEST on my Kindle. Can't look right now. However, based on what you and Jenclair say, I don't think I'll rush to read either of these. They seem much like the books I'm trying to read sparingly these days. Though I might try them at some point. :-)


  3. Lark Says:

    I always find books that are good, but not great, hard to review. I never know what to say about them. :)


  4. Melody Says:

    Jenclair - I'll have to read Friend Request so I'll be able to compare that book with this. ;)


  5. Melody Says:

    Kay - Some of the psychological suspense do have similar themes, don't they? Still, we can't help reading them. Sometimes, it's the characters rather than the premise that captivate me.


  6. Melody Says:

    Lark - I agree with you, Lark. And writing negative reviews are the worst, not that this book is one. :)


  7. Iliana Says:

    This one is not ringing a bell but sounds like I'm not missing out on a fabulous read. It looks like it starts out with a solid premise but doesn't quite deliver. Maybe I'll look for her other book instead!


  8. Melody Says:

    Iliana - It has an interesting premise but I wish the execution was a bit better. I'm really curious what her other book will be like. :)


  9. The Bookworm Says:

    Sorry Three Little Lies wasn't what you expected but hopefully Friend Request is better. Thanks for your honest thoughts on it.


  10. Melody Says:

    Naida - Perhaps Friend Request would be a better read since I've read a few positive reviews from blogger friends. :)


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.