Melody
Hodder & Stoughton | October 2018 | 160 pgs
Source: Library


This latest novella by Stephen King revolves around a man (who has an unknown mysterious condition) and his resolve in bringing a small town together despite the residents' prejudice and some differences. 

On surface, Scott Carey looks like any other ordinary man who has weight issue. But what other people wouldn't know is he's been losing weight constantly and no matter how heavy or light his clothings are, his weight always remains the same. What most terrifying (and worryingly) is, his weight will decline as the days go but his size will look the same. 

Scott consulted his neighbour, Bob Ellis, who's a retired doctor about his strange condition and the latter has absolutely no idea what it is. He suggested Scott to go for a thorough checkup but he refused, stating that he wouldn't want to be scrutinised like some weird creatures. Scott promises to monitor his condition though, but it seems his condition is not getting any better. 

Aside from this, Scott has issues with a lesbian couple next door whose dog regularly drops his business on his lawn. Missy and Deidre own a restaurant but business isn't that good. Scott has no problem with Missy, but Deidre is another matter. She is blunt and cold; and no matter how nicely Scott tells her about the dogs' problems, she appears defensive and the case remains unresolved. Scott also notices that the residents shun and avoid the couple like a plague and this gives him the thought that perhaps he can try to dismiss all this prejudice and unhappiness (including his own) considering his days to zero pound is nearing and he has nothing to lose anyway.  

Elevation was a short read yet it was moving and inspiring in a way. The story is simple and the characters are mostly one-dimensional (considering it's a novella) but the more I read, I felt a bit of connection with Scott. I felt his worry, his frustrations and his hopelessness with his condition, but I also felt his determination in wanting to change the mindset of the residents; including his own as well as the couple's opinion of him. Deidre was another interesting character; she may seemed like an annoying character from the start but I liked it that she doesn't care what others think of her, even when it seemed the whole community is going against her and her business suffered at one stage. Aside from the prejudice, there's a bit of political underlying tone but I thought they add some entertainment to the tension among the community. Overall, it was a quick read and though this is not King's best, it radiates a feel-good vibes without the heaviness of the respective topics. 


© 2019 Melody's Reading Corner (https://mel-reading-corner.blogspot.sg/), All Rights Reserved. If you are reading this post from other site(s), please take note that this post has been stolen and is used without permission.
10 Responses
  1. Verushka Says:

    So as it turns out, this is really nothing like I thought it would be. Huh. I might need to add this to my TBr -- great review (scott especially is intriguing)


  2. Melody Says:

    Verushka - I didn't expect it either. I think the biggest draw of this story is Scott's condition and I'd definitely like to read more about it and if there's any resolution.


  3. jenclair Says:

    I'm not usually a novella fan, but this one does sound interesting. :)


  4. Melody Says:

    Jenclair - I'm not a novella fan either, but I picked this one because it's Stephen King's. :)


  5. Trupti Says:

    I've always had bad luck with him. The only book I've liked is Carrie. Maybe I should give this a try, since it's short.


  6. Melody Says:

    Trupti - His books are a hit-or-miss to me. I think my favourite book thus far is The Shining. And Carrie is good, too.


  7. The Bookworm Says:

    I do love my SK. I need to read this one. Glad you enjoyed it overall.


  8. Melody Says:

    Naida - I hope you'll enjoy reading this book, Naida. :)


  9. King's books are hit and miss with me. I do think he is a great storyteller though, and I am always amazed at where his imagination goes.This sounds interesting.


  10. Melody Says:

    Wendy - Yes, King is a great storyteller. I heard he has another new book out soon and I'm curious about it.


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.