Melody
Simon & Schuster UK | 5 August 2021 | 448 pgs
Source: Library 

Ellen Saint is meeting a client at her house in an apartment building, The Heights, when she sees Kieran Watts standing on the rooftop terrace. Seeing Kieran has sent a wave of shock and rage in her; afterall he was dead and she's responsible in his death. 

Two years ago, Ellen was living a peaceful life until Kieran waltzed into her son's life and thereafter, there was nothing but troubles and frustrations as she sees Kieran was a bad influence to her son, Lucas. Considering him a catalyst that leads to the family's misery, Ellen decided to take matters into her own hands with some help from her ex-husband, Vic. We all know from the start that things didn't go as planned, and this is where I should refrain from saying more as the highlight of the story is finding out the dynamics between Ellen and Kieran, her interactions with Vic and where the direction will go after Ellen learnt about Kieran's existence and his whereabouts. 

As the title suggests, it is about the apartment building where Kieran resides but it is also about Ellen's acrophobia and her other weakness - 'The call of the void' (also known as 'high place phenomenon' characterised by a sudden compulsion to jump). Ellen wasn't a character whom you'd like or read easily; she's flawed and full of hatred and vengeance that would lead the reader wondering if her actions are justified or is she just being obsessive and vengeful. Yet, from another perspective, her role and her emotions as a mother feel real and raw and I couldn't help but to feel sorry for her during those moments. The pace wasn't fast for a thriller, though it did pick up towards the last quarter but it's readable for the character developments and not to mention the explosive ending which would surprise the reader. Overall, I think this book was good but not my favourite. I'd recommend Our Housethough, if you want to give this author a try.
© 2022 Melody's Reading Corner (https://mel-reading-corner.blogspot.sg/), All Rights Reserved. If you are reading this post from other site(s), please take note that this post has been stolen and is used without permission.
6 Responses
  1. Lark Says:

    So is Kieran a ghost? Or did he not really die? Either way, I'm not sure I would like this one. Ellen does sound pretty unlikable.


  2. Melody Says:

    Lark - There's nothing supernatural in this story, and Kieran was very much alive. I think this would be a hit-or-miss kind of book for readers considering there's some dark aspect and the moral ethics behind Ellen’s actions. I went for the author's writing as her words keep me reading. :)


  3. Harvee Says:

    I realize now that so many books have very slow beginnings and often only pick up towards the end. I've probably passed on some books for that reason, believing the entire book would be the same slow movement.


  4. Melody Says:

    Harvee - I suppose it's not a bad thing if the slow beginning adds background and developments to the story as a whole, but sometimes the story just lack the momentum as it progresses. I suppose I'll DNF the book if it fails to capture my attention after having read almost half of the book.


  5. This one had me turning the pages but it wasn't perfect IMO.


  6. Melody Says:

    Diane - It was a fast-paced read to me too as I couldn't wait to find out what happened.


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.