Melody

First of all, Happy New Year to you! 2022 has been an average year to me in all aspects; and all the more reading-wise since I'd barely hit the 50 mark in numbers. Nevertheless, reading and finding new-to-me authors are always a joy and as usual, I look forward to reading more books and sharing my thoughts of them with you in 2023. 

Since I hadn't been reading too many books in 2022, I thought I'd do something different this time around and instead of posting my Top 10 Reads, I'll list out the best of my best list and the ones which have left a deep impression on me (not in any order).


Djinn Patrol on the Purple Line by Deepa Anappara 
This book evoked so much emotions in me. Aside from the Indian setting, I've learned a lot about their living lifestyle (residents living in the slums) and the social status difference between the rich and the poor, and how this division will colour the lens of justice and other things as well. A sad but yet a thought-provoking read. 

Counterfeit by Kristin Chen 
This was a fun read; all the more if you're a (luxurious) handbag lover. Aside from the dynamics between the two main characters, there's also a message behind this story involving counterfeit handbags and illegal labour. I loved the light and darkly comic prose though I wished the dialogues have quotation marks! 

Bad Kids by Zijin Chen 
My best exploration of new-to-me author. I loved this book so much that I began my search of his other works (sadly, only found another titled The Untouched Crime since they're both translated works). At its core, this book highlights the human nature and how circumstances could force one to do something unthinkable. Recommended! 

The Murder Rule by Dervla McTiernan 
A compelling read and the balance between the suspense and the characters developments are good. This was one great suspense thriller that you need to dive into it without reading too much information about it. 

The Children on the Hill by Jennifer McMahon 
Jennifer is a great author in all aspects. Love her atmospheric settings and all the more her cast of intriguing characters. Her stories always give an element of surprise, and this book was no exception. I was drawn into this book not only for the suspense but also the author's writing and how she executed it like a fine art.

Happy 2023! Happy reading! 


© 2023 Melody's Reading Corner (https://mel-reading-corner.blogspot.sg/), All Rights Reserved. If you are reading this post from other site(s), please take note that this post has been stolen and is used without permission.
14 Responses
  1. Kay Says:

    Happy New Year, Melody! Hope 2023 is a good reading year for all of us. Like you, my reading has been kind of - well, I'll say it - yuck! But, I've read three books since December 20th - yay! On the right track again. I'm interested in The Children on the Hill and The Murder Rule that you listed. Think they are already both on my list or maybe even on my Kindle. Ha!


  2. Melody Says:

    Kay - Happy New Year, Kay! I hope we'll be reading lots of good books this year. And I'll be curious of your thoughts if you read those two books. :)


  3. Lark Says:

    Happy New Year, Melody! Djinn patrol on the Puple Line was a really good book! Thanks for reading that one with me last year...and for all our buddies read. They're so fun. I'm glad we'll be doing more of them in 2023. :D


  4. Harvee Says:

    I started Counterfeit and mean to pick it up again soon!


  5. I didn't read as many books as I usually do either, but my favorites are ones that left an impression too. How do you and Lark to buddy reads? Sounds fun! Wishing you a very happy 2023!


  6. Melody Says:

    Lark - I really enjoyed reading that book with you, Lark! All the great discussions, too. Here's to another great buddy reading year in 2023! :D


  7. Melody Says:

    Harvee - Hope you enjoy that book, Harvee!


  8. Melody Says:

    Diana - Lark and I will take turns on deciding a book and the date to read. We'll exchange our views via emails as our reading progress goes. Thereafter we'll decide on a date to post after we're done. The reading experience is all the more fun with our discussions and/or raves and rants as well. ;p


  9. Happy New Year, Melody! These all sound so good! I have Counterfeit, The Murder Rule and Djinn Patrol on the Purple Line on my TBR pile. I had hoped to get to Counterfeit in 2022, but it didn't happen. I hope you have a great 2023!


  10. Melody Says:

    Wendy - I hope you enjoy those books, Wendy! Here's to a great reading year in 2023! :)


  11. Iliana Says:

    I know what you mean about a not so great reading year quantity-wise but here's hoping 2023 will be better all around! I have Djinn Patrol on my shelf and keep hearing such great things about that book. Looking forward to it! Happy 2023!


  12. Greg Says:

    It's always nice to see which books meant a lot to people in the past year. Hope you had a great NY! The Murder Rule sounds good to me.


  13. Melody Says:

    Iliana - I hope you'll enjoy Djinn Patrol when you get to it, Iliana! :)


  14. Melody Says:

    Greg - It's always fun to look back at all the books we read in the past years. And I noticed my reading taste has changed as the years go, ha. The Murder Rule was a good read. Hope you'll give it a try one day.


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.