Melody


Atria Books | 27 June 2023 | 334 pgs
Source: Library 


At its core, this book revolves around secrets, deceptions and missing persons mainly set in Yosemite National Park. 

Cassie Peters is leaving her past and shedding her old identity as she made her escape to her old hometown in Mammoth Lakes, California. Who she's running away from is a mystery in the beginning but that'd unravel as the story progresses. Cassie used to work with Yosemite Search and Rescue many years ago but left due to an incident which still haunt her today. Given this circumstances she'd have avoided going down to that route but desperation could drive a person into making hasty decisions so she's back to join a group of fellow seasonal workers and making new friends as well. 

During her work on different occasions she meets two young women, Petal and Jada. Petal lives in a trailer with her partner; an older woman who keeps things to herself and remains aloof to others. Petal, on the other hand, is more vocal though she only write her inner thoughts and the daily occurrences on a journal (part of a narrative which I enjoyed reading aside from Cassie's between now and then). Jada is a college graduate who goes on a cross-country trip with her boyfriend while documenting their journey on Instagram but later both go missing. This turn of events set the story in momentum, as the reader will learn that these three women harbour secrets of their own and any one could have a hidden agenda. 

I loved the atmospheric backdrop of Yosemite National Park; through the author's descriptive writing I could imagine the beauty and the adventurous trail it entails for the hikers. I also enjoyed reading more about the role of the Search and Research team and how perilous their job can be. The characters are well-portrayed and flawed; and the dynamics between these three characters are explosive as the story unravels. The ending was a good twist, though it left some threads hanging in my opinion but I suppose that'd be at the disclosure of each reader's imagination. I'm a fan of Catherine McKenzie and though this isn't my favourite, I love her writing style and her crafty suspense that always left me intrigue. 
© 2023 Melody's Reading Corner (https://mel-reading-corner.blogspot.sg/), All Rights Reserved. If you are reading this post from other site(s), please take note that this post has been stolen and is used without permission.
8 Responses
  1. Lark Says:

    That Yosemite setting makes me want to give this one a try. Plus that whole search and rescue aspect. :D


  2. Melody Says:

    Lark - That setting alone is worth a read IMO. I'll be curious of your thoughts if you read it, Lark. :)


  3. Greg Says:

    Sounds wonderful. I like the sound of learning more about Search and Rescue, and of course Yosemite as a setting= win.


  4. Melody Says:

    Greg - I love it when I get to learn some new things, or a setting which I haven't been before in a book. I can already imagine the beauty of Yosemite National Park when reading this. :)


  5. I love Yosemite National Park! It's so beautiful there. I have enjoyed McKenzie's work before and will have to check this out.


  6. Melody Says:

    Wendy - I hope you'll enjoy this book when you get to it, Wendy. :)


  7. Iliana Says:

    Just thinking of how many people do get lost on trails and such this seems like a good set up for the story. I haven't read this author but like the sound of this thriller!


  8. Melody Says:

    Iliana - I love reading thrillers set in the wilderness or any nature parks. I'd recently finished reading a thriller set in Sarek, Sweden and it was such an intense reading experience. I've enjoyed most of Catherine McKenzie's books so I hope you'll enjoy them if you get to them.


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.