Melody





ISBN: 0316160172
Pub. Date: October 2005
Publisher: Little, Brown Children's Books




This has got to be one of the best YA novels I have ever read in my 'thirty-ish' years! I love reading paranormal stories, thus I didn't hesitate to pick this up after reading the interesting blurb.

17-year-old Isabella Swan moves to stay with her father in Forks, Washington, where rainfall is common in this little town as compared to her mother's place in sunny Phoenix. She struggles to fit in initially, but what intrigues her greatly is the attractive yet strange Cullen family, in particularly Edward Cullen who happens to be her lab partner in class. Bella (as she prefers to be called) is attracted to Edward, but she doesn't understand why he is unfriendly and avoids her like a plague at times. On the other hand, Edward is also fascinated with Bella, but he keeps his distance from her until the day he saves her from a truck accident.

After this incident, Bella insists to find out more about him. She later finds out Edward is a vampire; and though Edward warns Bella to keep a distance from him, still they can't fight off the attractions they have for each other. Bella doesn't care if he doesn't belong to the human race, but little does she know she is putting herself (as well as her family members) at risk after they discover another clan of vampires and they want Bella's blood badly.

The story starts at a slow pace in the beginning; this is where I learn about Bella's family history and why she ends up staying with her father in Forks. Thereafter, the story begins to pick up its pace after reading the part she has met Edward, and how it changes their life after knowing each other. I was very much attracted to Edward despite he being a vampire, he is so very charming. But what most attracted to me was the way he protects Bella even though deep in his heart he wishes her to be his own.

Stephenie Meyer has written a wonderful debut story with a bite and I will be looking forward to reading the sequels New Moon and Eclipse.

Other Bloggers' reviews:
9 Responses
  1. Alice Says:

    Great review, Mel! I'm glad you've enjoyed it. I knew I did. I love it! LOL.

    Edward was the first vampire hunk for me. I totally fell in love with him. LOL.


  2. Julia Says:

    Nice job on your review, Melody. Don't think I going to read this..well...you know why LOL

    Alice - *gasp*...Edward is first vamp hunk? It wasn't NR's vamp hunk? ::::thuds:::::


  3. Alice Says:

    Yes, Julia. Waaaaaaaay back in April, I think. He's the first and definitely not the last. HAHAHAHAHAHA!

    Cian in The Circle Trilogy rocks too. :D


  4. Melody Says:

    Hi Alice, yeah I really enjoyed the book! I was very much attracted to Edmund, even though he's a young adult, bwahahaha...no, wait a minute, since he's a vamp, that should make him a few centuries older! LOL.

    Hi Julia, it's a pity that you don't read vamp stories, because I can assure you some of them are great reads! :P


  5. Alice Says:

    Edmund?... Ah... Mel, I reckon that is your secret admirer, eh...


  6. Debi Says:

    Thanks for the review, Melody! Sounds great...I might have to use this for the RIP challenge this fall!


  7. Melody Says:

    Ooh, did I mention Edmund?! Obviously my mind & my fingers think differently, hehe...

    Secret admirer? Hmm...perhaps I'm too old for one, LOL! :P


  8. Melody Says:

    Hi Debi, thanks! I can't wait to hear what you have to say about this book if you happen to read it for the RIP challenge. ;)


  9. Becky Says:

    And if your other posts didn't have me interested in your blog (which they did), you have officially, with this review, elevated yourself to "Goddess" in my book. I am absolutely obsessed with this book series. Stephenie Meyer is brilliant. Period. And I am waiting with held breath for next Tuesday, August 7, when Eclipse graces us with its presence. These are NOT vampire stories (in my opinion)... they are love stories. Ahhhh, I could fill an entire page of comments about this book. I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I think you'll find that New Moon is infinitely better, if that's possible!


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.