Melody
ISBN-13: 9780593063811
Publisher: Bantam Press
Published: February 2010
416 pgs
Source: Personal Library



Gone is the fifth instalment of Mo Hayder's Jack Caffery series. If you'd follow this series, you'd know that DI Jack Caffery of Bristol's Major Crime Investigation Unit and Phoebe "Flea" Marley of the Underwater Search Unit are the protagonists of this series.

Anyway, Jack Caffery is once again called upon to solve a case involving child kidnapping. When the story opens, Jack and the readers are given the impression that it was a car-jacking case, but as the story picks up and more clues are shown do we realise that there are more than meets the eye. And when they received news that the kidnapper had abducted a second victim, it sent them all into hysteria because apparently he doesn't pick his little victims randomly and that he is enjoying playing hide-and-seek with them. And no matter how much time and efforts Jack and his team spent on tracking him, at the end the kidnapper is always a step ahead of them.

Flea Marley, on the other hand, has a hunch of the case but Jack Caffery as well as her team do not see her views. Call her stubborn or courageous, her next step is to follow her instincts and without assistance from anyone, explore a secret tunnel which she believes the kidnapper has hid or buried his victims away. It is also at this time that Jack has found some clues on the kidnapper and this entitle him a search warrant, but then is he the right person?

I have to admit I was on pins and needles while reading Gone. Though child kidnapping is a common theme in a crime thriller, I have to say what's so great about this book is aside from the emotional intense and the suspense, Mo Hayder has further explore the nature of humanity and that there's only a fine, thin line between the good and the evil. Because I was a huge fan of this series, I was hoping to see some developments between Jack and Flea but there isn't much going on between them, and that is due to a misunderstanding which I'd rather not mention here but all I can say is I am happy to note that there is still some hope flickering between them.

Another thing I wish to mention is it touches me a lot to see the strength and the emotional support among the victims' mothers. Because I am a mother of two, I could totally understand their feelings of losing their little girls and my heart went out to them. Their role may be minor to the story, but they do play a crucial part in some ways so in my opinion, this story is very much about them other than the cops and the bad guy.

Needless to say, I highly recommend Gone. If you are new to Mo Hayder's books and would like to get a gist of her writing style, perhaps I can point you to the direction of a few of her stand-alone books: The Devil of Nanking (aka Tokyo), Pig Island and her upcoming new release next month, Hanging Hill, in which I am eagerly anticipating.


Jack Caffery Series in order:
5 Responses
  1. Julia Says:

    Sound like it had been a good reading for you, Melody! Glad that you love Hayder's books so much. Maybe someday I will pick this up and read it when the mood strike ;)

    Great review :)


  2. The Bookworm Says:

    sounds like a good series. Its always nice to find characters within a story that move the reader, the way the mothers did for you.


  3. Darlene Says:

    I haven't heard of this author before but the books sound really good. I may try one of the stand alones first.


  4. Iliana Says:

    Thank you for posting the order of the books! I have Birdman, which I think I started at one point, but I'm sort of tempted to read one of her standalone novels instead. Great to hear you are still enjoying the series - that's always a good sign :)


  5. Melody Says:

    Julia - It was! :) I hope you'll read Mo Hayder's books soon!

    Naida - Yes, indeed!

    Dar - I hope you'll pick up her Jack Caffery series after reading her stand alones. I think her JC series are better IMO. ;)

    Iliana - Ooh, I'm so glad you've Birdman in your pile, Iliana! You've gotta read that soon! It's a dark story, but then most crime thrillers are, isn't it? :)


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.